2010.03..27 My Day

I slept in this morning a little longer than I had planned on, but never mind I have made up for it since.

Its been a lovely sunny day here for the best part but chilly in the shade. We had a very respectable start to the day by going to pay a visit to our local butcher at Willowbrook Farm in Helpston. They have a lovely big traditional breed butchery which also has seasonal game, jams, pickles, flour, fresh veg, a small frozen section, regular offers on bulk buys and lots more besides. We came away with a rib of beef for tomorrow's dinner, a gammon knuckle, rib eye steaks, boar sausages, smoke back bacon, plain streaky bacon, Quenby Hall Stilton, Gooseberry Jam, a lemon and lime curd, horseradish sauce, tartare sauce and Apricot Preserve with chesnut liquer (have bought this to try to see if I like before I have a go at making myself or finding a suitable recipe). I don't often buy jams etc but if I see something I like the look of which is different I will often buy to see if I like or its worth making before making a batch up and not liking it. Oh and I also got a tray of eggs.

Missy came with us of course, but because she is not allowed in, OH stayed outside with her. They have a cafe which serves lovely food as well and there were benches outside, so we had our breakfast in a very civilised fashion, bacon sandwiches with a pot of tea. It was delicious. It was also lovely to be outside in the fresh air after being cooped up in an office all week.

OH wanted to watch the qualifying for the grand prix, and whilst he was so engaged I went to the veg shop and stocked up with fresh veg for the week. They had fresh purple sprouting broccoli in so I have bought a bundle of that. If you have never had this before, you don't know what you are missing. It has a lot of flavour and is very good for you. Parsnips, carrots, sweet potato, cauliflower, celery, spring onions cherry tomatoes and lettuce. Oh and I nearly forgot a new sack of potatoes. I still have a few left in the old sack but knew if I didn't get another sack soon wouldn't be able to get one. So what's left in the old sack I am going to cook up and mash and put in the freezer. I might also do some bubble and squeak cakes for OH to use when he has a fry up. I tend to go through a sack of potatoes in about six to eight weeks as a rule and it is far cheaper buying by the sack than from the supermarket.

The rest of the day has been spent in cleaning and cooking. For tea tonight we have had rib eye steak with home made chips, fried onion, mushroom and cherry tomatoes, salad leaves, coleslaw and bread and butter. All downed with a glass of cider. Very tasty it was too. I use a griddle for cooking everything on it gives a very good result, plus you can get more on than in a frying pan.

I have also stocked up on milk for the week as well. We usually get through about 4 litres a week.

Sadly I didn't get into the garden today. OH has promised will do the washing line for me tomorrow so that I can get the washing dry. Just hope the weather is okay.

Don't forget to turn the clocks forward tonight.

Take care wherever you may be.

Comments

Popular Posts