This is very delicious cake and something I used to make on a regular basis. Looks like it needs ressurecting.
8 oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice
4oz demerara sugar
6oz dried fruit mixture
3-4 tablespoons milk
Demerara sugar for topping
- To the flour add the salt and mixed spice then rub in the margarine until like a crumble mix.
- Add the sugar and dried fruit mixture and mix evenly so that the ingredients are distributed evenly.
- In a separate bowl beat together the eggs and then add the milk.
- Add to the rest of the ingredients combining well.
- Line a deep cake pan with greaseproof or baking parchment, making sure that you grease the lining well (I melt a little butter or margarine in a pan then brush on after I have the pan lined to my satisfaction).
- Add the cake mixture finishing off with a sprinkle of demerara sugar and cook at oven temperature 350 degrees F until the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.
- Serve at tea time or as a cut and come again cake.
- Remove wrapping