1.4 kg/3lb cooking apples peeled cored and sliced
300ml/ 1/2 pint/1 1/4 cups water
900g/2lb/4 cups sugar
grated rind and juice of 4 lemons
50g/2oz/1/4 cup butter
5ml/1 teaspoon ground ginger
2.5ml/ 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
8 egg yolks lightly beaten
- Put the apples into a preserving pan with the water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the apples are soft. Press them through a sieve.
- Return the apple to the cleaned preserving pan and add the sugar, lemon rind, juice, butter and spices. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, then removed from the heat and stir in the egg yolks.
- Cook getly until the mixture is hoit but not boiling and has thickened.
- Pot up the curd in warm clean jars and cover.
Makes approxiately 5lb/2.3 kg.