450g/1lb nice dark cherries (traditionally Morello cherries are used)
75g/Approx 3 oz of sugar (or add less or more depending on how sweet you want this)
600ml/1 pint of brandy
Almond essence 2 drops - Optional
- Remove all the cherry stalks and keep these to one side. I have found another recipe for using these which I intend to have a go at this year. This will be posted separately.
- Prick each cherry all over with a sterilised needle or wooden cocktail stick. I use a cherry stoner to remove any of the pits, especially with a view to eating the macerated fruit later on.
- Layer the cherries with the sugar alternating in a sterilised jar to within approx one inch of the top of the jar. If using the Almond essence add now.
- Pour in the brandy to cover the cherries by about half an inch. Seal the jar and then store in a cool dark place for at least three months before using to allow the flavours to develop. Shake the jar from time to time.
- Line a funnel with a double layer of muslin and strain the brandy through into a sterilised bottle. Seal the bottle and label
- Don't waste the cherries after straining they are delicious topped with fresh whipped cream or just pouring cream or if you fancy them as a sweetmeat dunk them in melted chocolate and allow to set.
Alcoholic bounty for adults