1 kg of fruit
300ml of water or a little more just to cover the plums in the pan
700g of sugar (normally I use equal weight for fruit but I didn't want to overpower this on the sugar front) and lose the flavour.
- Weigh out the required amount in plums
- Put in pan or jam maker and add 300ml water
- Switch on machine and let the plums cook in the liquid until soft and starting to break up about 15 to 20 minutes stirring frequently. Let the plum stones rise to the top and then skim off with a slotted spoon. I then go through the bowl spooning out the mixture and taking the stones out and then run the stones through a sieve to remove as much of the fruit pulp as possible. You will always get the odd stone in no matter how careful you are. Return the pulp and liquid to the pan.
- Add sugar carry on cooking still stirring all the time
- Cook until setting point is achieved
- Bottle in sterilised jars with lids.