Wild Plum Preserve

Being as the wild plums have such a delicate flavour and being as I am experimenting with the jam pan for this recipe I decided to do as little as possible with them letting the natural flavours shine through.  Who would have thought that my plums which were bright yellow when picked would go to such a lovely colour  all with the aid of a banana.

Ingredients
1 kg of fruit
300ml of water or a little more just to cover the plums in the pan
700g of sugar (normally I use equal weight for fruit but I didn't want to overpower this on the sugar front) and lose the flavour.

Method
  1. Weigh out the required amount in plums
  2. Put in pan  or jam maker and add 300ml water
  3. Switch on machine and let the plums cook in the liquid until soft and starting to break up about 15 to 20 minutes stirring frequently.  Let the plum stones rise to the top and then skim off with a slotted spoon. I then go through the bowl spooning out the mixture and taking the stones out and then run the stones through a sieve to remove as much of the fruit pulp as possible.  You will always get the odd stone in no matter how careful you are.  Return the pulp and liquid to the pan.
  4. Add sugar carry on cooking still stirring all the time
  5. Cook until setting point is achieved
  6. Bottle in sterilised jars with lids.
  7. Enjoy

Comments

  1. Hello Tricia,
    I hope you are well. I spotted this new blog recently and thought you might enjoy it
    http://mrsportionspotables.blogspot.com/
    with best wishes,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah Hope you too are well. Thank you for that it looks a very interesting blog! I don't always get as much time as I would like to "surf the net" so recommendations are doubly valuable.

    Take care and thanks for popping in

    Tricia aka Pattypan

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cherry plums, can't believe they're not more widely known and used. They have a lovely delicate flavour, this year I think I'm going to experiment by adding some scented geranium leaves to my cherry plums preserves/cordials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracey

    I have picked cherry plums in other years, but sometimes we have missed out as someone else has been there before us. I also like the flavour very rich for such a small fruit. Surprisingly most of the foraging books I have don't really refer to them at all.

    I have rose scented geranium growing in my window box; I intend to have a go at a jelly too but I also have a recipe for a cake where you layer the leaves in the bottom of the cake pan before cooking top with cake mixture and cook. It is supposed to scent the cake and then if I remember rightly you soak it with a sugar infused scented syrup. Using the scented leaves would give an added depth. Let us know how you get on.

    Take care

    Tricia

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've just had a bumper crop of wild plums - they seem to be throwing out double the normal number now that the drought seems to have broken here. Anyway, we've been foraging up and down the streets and paths of our neighbourhood, and it's surprising the number of people we've found doing the same. We were also thinking of using some for a savoury preserve of some sort.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts