Marrow Rum

My Grandparents used to speak glowingly of Marrow Rum - in fact  I believe my Nan used to make her own as she used to make many things. I remember as a youngster being intrigued by Nan's Pantry - she would never let me in for fear I would knock something over, but I remember there being all sorts of goodies in there with a big Meat Safe at the bottom.  Ah now Meat Safe's there's a subject for another day.

 Equally I have heard all sorts of horror stories about how it went manky (the marrow) and it didn't look very appetitising etc etc.  But when hearing older people speak there has always been the "romance" or rose coloured spectacles element when they reminisce about certain wines or alcoholic conconctions and they seem to gain this glazed look as they are looking back on a memory from so long ago.

I however have never tasted it - never tried it and really don't know what I am letting myself in for but I have decided to bite the bullet and have a go. (I know I am not on my own here too), but  if I don't like the end result I just won't make it again and just put things down to experience.

But then, just again there is an outside chance that it might be something special and I might be missing out by not trying it.

Well whatever; the proof of the pudding will be in the eating

The following is taken from The Lark Rise Recipe Book by Mary Norwak.

Ingredients:

1 Large firm Ripe Marrow
Demerara Sugar

  1. Use a very firm marrow which is too tough for cooking or for cutting with a knife.  Cut through the stalk end and scoop out the seeds and the pulp.
  2. Fill the marrow cavity completely with sugar.  Put on the top part again and sellotape it back into position.
  3. Put the marrow into a bag made of strong cloth and hang in a cool dry place. 
  4. After two weeks fill the marrow with sugar again and seal the top again and hang back up in its cloth bag again.
  5. This time after four weeks the marrow will begin to drip. Take the marrow from the bag and make a hole in he bag where the sugar is beginning to drip through (I have put a funnel into a jar with muslin over the funnel but underneath the marrow to catch the liquid)
  6. Cork the bottle lightly as fermention will soon beging.  In a few weeks when fermentation has ceased cork firmly.  Keep for a year before using.
Well its in situ, don't know what it is like but there is only one way to find out.

Comments

Popular Posts