Grape Jelly

 Being as my very good friend bought me a load of grapes in I have some of this dripping as we speak soon to be made into another lovely jelly.  I love making jellies as the colours are so shiny and vibrant and tasty.  A lot of people don't like fruit lumps or pieces in jams and so are quite partial to jellies in preference.  I like both.  Looks like I am going to be busy tomorrow night when I get in from work.

Ingredients:

1 kg/2 1/4 lb grapes

For every 500ml/16 fl oz of juice:

675g/1 1/2lb caster sugar
100g/3 1/2 oz liquid pectin
freshly squeezed juice of a large lemon

Method

  1.  Put the grapes which can be solely one colour a mixture of black and white into a heavy based stainless steel pan and crush them.  You can use a potato masher to achieve this.  Add 150ml/5 fl oz of water and then bring to the boil, reduce the heat and then cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the grapes are very soft.
  2. Crush the grapes again then spoon the mixture into a jelly bag and allow to drip overnight.
  3. Measure the juice then measure out the correct amount of sugar, pectin and lemon juice.  Put the juice and sugar into a preserving pan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. 
  4. Add the pectin, increase the heat and boil rapidly for 3 to 5 minutes until the jelly has set.  Pot into hot sterilised jars seal and label.
Grape jelly is traditionally used in peanut and jelly sandwiches, but I think it will be just as yummy on scotch pancakes or crumpets and toast.

Comments

Popular Posts