Japonica Quince

I have spotted in a neighbours garden a load of Japonica Quince and I am going to ask him if I can have them as he does not seem to do anything with them and in the spirit of waste not want not and with the promise of a jar of the preserve, I am hoping that he will let me have these.  Its something I have always wanted to have a go at but never came across any to actually use or know of anyone who had any.  So I have been researching and from what I can see, the Japonica Quince is more acidic than the normal Cydonia Quince or the larger tree Quince, but that the recipes are more or less interchangeable.

If he lets me have them I intend to make some Quince Jelly and some Quince Cheese and hopefully some Membrillo, so will have to see how it goes.  This is all very new to me so I am looking forward to experimenting a great deal.

I am also looking out for the Cydonia Quince as well, as it would be good to compare the flavours by making the same or slightly different recipes.  I also have a recipe for a Liqueur as well.  Never having tried either version I don't even know if I will like the flavour but nothing ventured nothing gained. 

Here's keeping my fingers crossed

xx

Comments

  1. I made some Japonica Quince Jelly last weekend. We have lived here for ten years and every year I have meant to do something with the fruit. This year there wasn't a lot compared to previous years but I have it in jars and am looking forward to sharing it. Could taste like rubbish........... I will let you know

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts