5oz clear honey
5oz demerara sugar
10oz plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4oz chopped mixed candied peel
1/4 pint of milk
- Grease and base line a 1lb loaf tin.
- Melt the butter in a large thick pan over a low heat. Take off the heat and stir in the honey and the sugar. Mix well and leave the mixture to cool.
- Sieve the flour with the soda and spices, and stir in the peel.
- Beat the egg and milk into the honey mixture. Pour into the flour and beat until very smooth.
- Pour into the tin and bake in a moderate overn (350degrees F/180 degrees C/Gas mark 4 for 1/4 hours.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn on to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve sliced with butter.