Followers

Sunday, 28 August 2011

Update on the Lemon Vinegar cleaner

At the beginning of the month. I experimented with making some Lemon Vinegar Cleaner  - as per this post here http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.com/2011/08/20110806-my-day.html  and the link on how to make it courtesy of Just Like My Nan Made.  The first jar is ready to use and I must say I am very impressed with this.  I was worried that the house was going to smell of vinegar, but no such thing, just citrusy - and fresh.  I have used some to clean the cooker - it is an excellent degreaser and also some in boiling water to wash my dressers down and I am very pleased.  It also works well in the bathroom. So thank you Nelly Mary for sharing.  I am really well chuffed with this so much so it is going to feature regularly on my cleaning itinerary.  

There is nothing nicer than a clean fresh smelling home.  It  is pleasing that something so simple can really be so effective.  So much so it has inspired me to have a go at some other recipes I have come across, one for cleaning brass and copper which uses flour vinegar and salt, one that uses tomato Ketchup for the same purpose.

But I have also decided that I would quite like to have a go at making my own household soap.  I am hoping to have a go at this whilst I am off on holiday, and have been researching the process and some simple recipes.  I quite like the sound of a  lavender soap for starters. I have been gathering some items together for a little while now including utensils just for soapmaking.  I also intend to make a few knitted cotton flannels too for my own use.

I would liketo have a go at making some polish too, but haven't been able to locate any turpentine, only the turpentine replacement.   I have a lot of solid wood furniture which I regularly polish with the bought beeswax. Does anyone know where I could get hold of this please in the UK?


All out of white vinegar and waste peels.  One way to get your money's worth out of a lemon.  I leave it on my kitchen windowsill to cure!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pattypan, I'm so glad you like the citrus cleaner...It sure is soooo much cheaper...and it can replace lots of store cleaners.
    nellymary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nellymary and welcome. I am very pleased with the cleaner it is brilliant on the cooker especially when my OH has been cooking. His food is good but he leaves me a lot of cleaning. I am that pleased that I have a jar of the orange "curing" at the moment.

    Thank you

    Pattypan

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by. I love to receive comments and to make new friends so please say Hi. Pattypan

Meet the Moggies

  • Merlin (approx 18 months)
  • Squeak (approx 2 years)
  • Poppy (approx 16 years)
  • Tyson (approx 17 years)
  • Tinky (official name Clover approx 18 years)