Ingredients:200g dried cannellini beans
250g smoked pancetta or bacon cut into cubes
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 large stalks of parsley lightly crushed
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large onion chopped
2 large potatoes cubed and rinsed
2 celery stalks sliced
3 tomatoes halved deseeded and chopped
200g Italian Risotto rice
1 small round cabbage quartered cored and sliced
250g shelled peas, fresh or frozen
3 small courgettes halved lengthwise halved again into quarters then thickly sliced
Ground black pepper
- Soak the beans overnight in at least 1 1/4 litres of cold water to cover.
- Drain the beans put into a saucepan and cover with fresh cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the beans are tender. Do not add the salt at this stage. Drain the beans and pop them to one side.
- Put the bacon or pancetta, garlic and parsley in a stockpot heat gently and fry until the fat runs. Then add the olive oil heat briefly then add the onion and cook until softened but not brown.
- Add the potatoes the carrots the celery tomatoes salt and the pepper. Add 3 litres of water and heat until simmering. Cook over a low heat for approximately 20 minutes or so. Add the rice and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and reserved beans bring to the boil and cook for about 5 minutes then add the peas and the courgettes and cook for another couple of minutes until the veg is tender.
- Remove the parsley stalks and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled with torn basil leaves crusty fresh bread and either some Parmesan or some nice strong cheddar.