2 pints of milk
2-3 oz of sugar
1/2 oz finely shredded butter
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas mark 2 (310 degrees F).
- Grease a pie dish with some of the butter.
- Wash your chosen grain in cold water if necessary (I find I get a better result when I do this) then place into the greased pie dish with the milk. Leave to stand for approximately 1/2 an hour.
- Add the sugar and then flake the remaining butter onto the top together with your nutmeg.
- Bake slowly until the pudding is brown on top and of a thick creamy consistency.
This recipe can also be used for making a Large Sago, whole rice (Carolina type or short grain), flaked Tapioca or Flaked Rice.
Gives approximately 6 helpings
Cooking time about 2 1/2 hours
Enjoy pure comfort food.
I was telling the girls who I work with last week about home maid rice pudding so much so, one of the girls was going to see her mum and requested a home made rice pudding - sadly it did not materialise as mum not well, but its amazing how something so simple that is shared between your nearest and dearest evokes very special memories or just gives you a penchant for some home made rice pudding.