Yorkshire Pudding Supper

I make a lot of this and used to when the kiddies were home as well.  When you haven't got a lot of money it is a good filler outer and helps make you feel full.  And you don't have to stick to the rules you can put Yorkshire Pudding with anything you like.

Another good stuffer or filler outer is "stuffing" but I will talk about that another time.

Today I am talking about a quick simple meal for a weekday night one that will warm the cockles of your heart and soul during these cold winter nights.   I have a proper recipe for you to follow along with notes on the way that I do it.  Until you find your own way round recipes sometimes things can seem daunting but they are only as complicated as you want to make them.  I am a plain simple cook who was lucky enough to receive a thorough cooking education at home (I used to have to earn my pocket money by helping my mum in the kitchen on a Sunday morning when she would do not only the Sunday roast but also the bake for the week whilst she had the oven on). My best friend was not so lucky so when she moved in to live with her boyfriend - now husband (as she had hardly done any cooking at all)  the cavalry was sent for and I went and stayed at the weekends for about 6 weeks until I had taught her a few tricks with the cooking and she is a lovely little cook these days and is not daunted by any recipe.  I equally had very good teachers that taught us domestic science at school - something that should never have been got rid of because we now have youngsters wanting to learn these skills and we have a generation in between who have lost them completely.   Anyway I digress. Back to the matter in hand.

This in effect is a large Yorkshire Pudding that is used  one per person as a case for putting your sausages (which are grilled) and then mashed potatoes and veggies into (so the pudding is the case which you put on a plate but you eat it as well if you see what I mean).

Ingredients

110g of Plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 large egg
200ml of milk
A little oil, dripping or lard
6 large sausages (make sure they are decent ones not cheap and nasties)
1 small onion sliced
Home made gravy to serve

Method

  1.  Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 /220 degrees C/425 Degrees F. 
  2. Sieve the flour and the salt into a bowl and using a hand whisk (I use a metal balloon whisk) and blend in the egg and sufficient milk to give a smooth paste initially and then add further milk blending it well to create a nice smooth batter.  Whisking it well and leave to stand for about 20 minutes or so.
  3.  Grease three shallow sponge tins with a little oil (I tend to use lard or dripping for this sort of thing) and pop them into the oven on a high heat i.e Gas mark 7 (as per above).  When the fat is melted or crackling remove from the oven and immediately put the batter into the hot tins and cook for 35 to 40 minutes until the puddings have risen and are golden brown.
  4. Whilst the puddings are cooking grill the sausages evenly.  Fry the onion until golden brown then start adding a little water at a time so that you retain the flavour but also end up with enough liquid for gravy.  Do this like you would a risotto to start with and then you should be able to add more and more liquid as you go along.  Add flavourings etc so that you have a lovely home made onion gravy.
  5. When sausages and onions are cooked arrange in the individual Yorkshire Pudding cases return to the oven for a few more minutes and then serve with mashed potato, shredded cabbage and the onion gravy.  
You can also use this method of serving a meal with stewing steak and with the remnants of a chicken just makes things go that little bit further.

However a quick tip for Yorkshire Pudding is that I tend to make my Yorkshire pudding this way whatever I am cooking.

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7703817848238285099#editor/target=post;postID=8098257435923540009

I just down grade to a tea cup, half size mug, or full mug to vary the difference between pans, for instance if I want a tray of Yorkshire Pudding I use a full mug, if I want individual Yorkshire pudding I use 3/4 size mug, and so on. Quite freuquently I make individual Yorkshire Puddings in either a large Pattypan (butterfly cake tin) or large Muffin pan if I want a larger Yorkshire pudding.  It really is a case of playing around with the ingredients and pans.

Hope this helps but it does produce a lovely warming filling meal on a weekday or even a weekend.  I  DO NOT  buy Yorkshire puddings I make my own as I always have flour, eggs, milk and vinegar in.  Just think how much money you would be saving if you made your own for the family and they will taste much nicer.

 Remember the more practice you get and the more time you get to play with a recipe enables you to find your own way round things.

I was given a good piece of advice when I first had a household of my own was that take one dish at a time practice it until you are happy with it - play with it and then once you think you have it right pop that into your regular recipes list and then try something new.

Have fun

Pattypan

xx

PS if you have any individual Yorkshire Puddings left over  - put some butter and some jam on them they are quite yummy.

x

Of course you don't have to pack it as full as I did as the Yorkshire is extremely filling.  It was another good warm meal though.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts