Rhubarb Muffins

And I have my eye on these too.  I love muffins and regularly make a batch although they usually tend to be apple and ginger or apple and cinnamon or blueberry, but there are many other flavours that you can utilise.  I am also ever keen to try and use seasonal fruits and vegetables and in-betweenies in every day eating and just not for popping stuff up in the pantry.  So I have a plan where I can to buy the seasonal fruit or vegetable in bulk at hopefully a cheaper price and then bulk process; even if  I end up doing a couple of bulk batches that way round we are going to have items available on the menu which will help vary the palate.

Ingredients:

Makes 12 large muffins

310ml brown sugar
125ml oil
1 egg
250ml buttermilk or 250ml milk with 1 tablespoon lemon due or half yogurt and milk
Vanilla pod
625ml plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
375ml rhubarb diced
1 tsp cinnamon
80ml sugar
15ml butter or margarine softened

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 degrees F/Gas Mark 6
  2. Cream together the brown sugar and the oil and then add the egg.
  3. Heat the buttermilk with the vanilla pod for 5 minutes to infuse and then remove from the heat.  Discard the pod case and allow to cool.
  4. In a separate bowl combined the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Mix well with the buttermilk mixture then stir in the rhubarb.  Fill a greased muffin pan tray two-thirds full. In a small bowl mix the cinnamon sugar and butter or margarine and sprinkle over the muffins.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
Enjoy.

I enjoyed these so much I intend to put a couple of batches of these down into the new freezer too.  I| also thought I would do some Strawberry and Rhubarb (and maybe some custard - I have an idea I am going to play with here.

Catch you soon

Pattypan

xx

Comments

Popular Posts