Christmas Hoarding Part 2 -Home Preserving

Well not strictly speaking Christmas Hoarding but part of it will go towards the Christmas stockpile in any event.  At times of celebration it is always good to have a choice of ingredients to use.

Despite the upset and I have been terribly upset as has poor Molly (they say animals do not mourn but she has been calling for her kittens on and off all night);  it has been quite heart rending and  she has for the best part been cuddled up next to me.  Demetri and Squeak seem to have decamped downstairs for the time being. The antibiotics seem to have kicked in and her temperature is down which I am quite pleased about as that was what was concerning me most.  I would also like to thank you all for your kind comments and support during this difficult time. I am trying to keep myself busy as when I stop that is when I end up getting all upset. 

Anyway back to the the Christmas Hoarding.  It would seem that we have about 15 weeks before Christmas.  I haven't bought anything this week.  However I have managed to put away all those goodies I have already acquired in the big red box under the stairs.  I have been busy in the kitchen processing ingredients and preserving them for the winter months.  This week I have managed to get Gooseberry Jam, and Victoria Plum jam, as well as Victoria Plums preserved in syrup; blueberries in syrup,  and pickled cabbage dealt with.  I still have nectarines (in syrup and maybe some chutney), tomatoes (ketchup and passata) and shallots  and Apples (pickled shallots and maybe some brown sauce and some chutney) to process in between setting to with the housework.  I am also hoping to be able to get some blackberries picked and some more preserves made.  

The Christmas cake needs to be started as well so that it has time to be fed and mature nicely.  I want to get as much done as I can.  I also want to get some presents made and some crafty stuff dealt with and I have a lot of outings coming up and my mum to keep an eye on.  I also have plans for a sweet and sour sauce and a barbecue sauce for the pantry shelf as well as some home made plum sauce which is simply divine coating a rack of ribs and brushing on plenty of sauce leaving for so long in the oven pasting more sauce on until the whole jar is used and by golly was it delicious.  Sauces are expensive to buy, but if you make them yourself then you get more for your money in the long run.

Right I am going to get a wriggle on as I have not achieved as much as I would have liked, but then I have been otherwise preoccupied.

Thank you once again for your love and support.

Pattypan

xx

Comments

Popular Posts