Patchwork Research / Planning

I mentioned in a recent post that I wanted to get to grips with Patchwork and indeed this is on my list of 52 things to do in a year. I knew somewhere I had some patchwork templates and equipment and so I went looking last night for exactly what I do have. I located circle, heart, diamonds, strip patchwork, hexies and shell templates together with a stock of fat quarters that I had forgotten about.   I am sure I have some more somewhere along the line but at the time of writing cannot put my hand on them.  What I need is a big box in which to stash all templates and patchwork designated fabric to store said consumables in so that I can find things when I am looking for them. I think this is a job that will be done a little at a time when funds allow.

 I  recently mentioned about the Dresden plate pattern for a quilt and that I was looking for a template, preferably free.  I had looked at several links last night and not found anything and then I found the tutorial here from Sew Mama Sew

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2010/04/dresden-plate-block-sew-along/

I then found the Mccalls site here 

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patterns/index.html. 

 Its a lovely little site with patterns,  blocks and tutorials. I typed in Dresden plate which led me to 

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patterns/details.html?idx=8040&idx=8040&idx=8040 which is just one of the patterns using Dresden Plate. 

 I particularly like this design:  

 http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/article/miss_kyra_bright_floral_dresden_plate_applique_wall_quilt_pattern

What attracted me to the Dresden Quilt was this article from Cluck Cluck Sew. I love the colourways and after reading the tutorial at Missour Quilts on You Tube -  I think it might be able to manage this.  I did find a pdf template for this online and have saved it to my computer as a pdf but unfortunately I did not save the link.

 I then  looked for a double wedding ring pattern which  took me to a quilt pattern here with instructions and I found a pdf to print off of the template from.
I also found one for the Dresden Plate design.  One thing I have noticed though is that there are two types of Dresden Plate design the pointed and the rounded.  The Tutorial I came across at Missouri Quilt Company is for the pointed Dresden.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcy_p4pryE4

I have been advised that perhaps they are not the easiest patterns to start with but they are the patterns that are speaking to me at present and I am going to do things at my own pace and in an organised fashion.

Now I have my templates and patterns I am in one sense ready as I can now start either of these quilts when I have a few moments to spare. 

As a matter of habit I therefore save patterns wherever I can solely for this purpose and if the patterns are free then all the more reason to save them.  So part of the preparation work is ready now I have to find some time to start the cutting and the piecing.  However I need to get a few more UFOs to get out of the way.

Catch you soon

Pattypan xx

Comments

  1. Oh what fun. The Missouri Quilt co demo's are very helpful. I have invested in a few more storage boxes recently, so I can pack my stashes of material away in a more organized fashion. It makes all the difference when you can just put your hands straight onto what you are looking for.

    Enjoy your sewing, and I look forward to seeing ow you've got on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts