Chunky Apple Sauce

I was checking the pantry shelf for Apple sauce this evening, but horrors of horrors I have run out of what I thought was an extensive supply of apples for the Pantry Shelf. Oohps It looks like I am going to have to put some more of this down as we seem to be using it quite a bit. I usually make this come Autumn when the new seasons apples come in.  I have some Cooking Apples to use up, so I may get some more and prepare these at the weekend.  I use it for pies individual ones (I have little medium size pie maker, a large pie maker and also individual pie maker.  We also have hot apples with home made vanilla ice cream that really is lovely and of course we use it as a sauce and turnover filling. It is also lovely for a large apple amber or individual ones. So although slightly out of season it looks as though I am going to be busy in the kitchen come the weekend.  I enjoy it really.

Anyways here is the Recipe to make Bottled Home made Chunky Apple Sauce:

Ingredients: 

2 1/4lb/1kg Cooking Apples - I have some Bramleys
4 firm dessert apples (these form the chunks)
10oz/300g white granulated sugar
Freshly squeeze juice of 2 lemons

Makes about 3 1/4lb/1.6kg

Method

Peel, core and roughly chop the cooking apples.  Put in a large preserving pan with 400ml/14 fl oz of water and simmer for 10 minutes until the Apples go soft and pulpy but still have some texture..

Then peel core and cut the dessert apples into 1 1/2 inch dice.  Add to the cooking apples with the sugar and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until there is little excess liquid and the sauce is thick.

Pour into hot sterilised jars (I use Kilner jars),  add the seals and rings tighten and then turn back a quarter turn. If using Lug lids make sure that the lids are on the jars tight. Pop into a large deep saucepan popping a folded tea towel into the bottom arranging the bottles so that they do not touch on it. This is important as otherwise the bottles can have the propensity to break which we want to avoid at all costs.  Fill with hot water and completely submerge the jars bring to the boil.  Hot Water Bath process from boiling point for approximately 5 minutes or until seal is tight and is solid.  Adding this extra step takes all the excess air out of the jar and helps keep the preserve for longer on the Pantry Shelf.

As a matter of note in the States and Canada I believe that all preserves are Hot Water processed in this manner or put into the Canner to remove the enemy air.  And at the end of the day we want to keep the preserve for a reasonable period of time.  Preserving this way helps free up the freezer for more important ingredients like meat.

Some of my main stays for the Pantry and which I use a lot of are Pasta Sauce, Apple Sauce, Bottled Plums, Bottled Pears, Bottled Clementines,, Barbecue Sauce, and Chinese Plum Sauce and Bottled Forced Rhubarb.  I have more  recipes to try during the year.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts