I usually make my own flan sponge base using the whisked sponge recipe I posted earlier on but equally you can buy one
Here is the link to the sponge recipe:
I have a couple of special flan sponge tins which you do not see very often. It has a groove all the way round it which forms the raised rim on the sponge. if you do not have this type of tin just use an ordinary sponge cake base.
1 x 18cm (7 inch) sponge flan case or a single layer of sponge cake
30ml/2 tablespoon brandy or sherry (optional)
Meringue topping made with 3 egg whites
Dairy ice cream made with fresh double cream or bought vanilla or flavoured ice cream
Glace fruits to decorate (optional)
- Put flan or cake on to an ovenproof plate or dish
- Moisten with Brandy or Sherry I use raspberry jam/raspberry puree for a non alcoholic version
- Make meringue topping
- Spoon ice cream straight onto sponge on top of raspberry jam but you can add fresh fruit as well.
- Pipe on Meringue in swirls or swirl it with a knife and make sure there is a seal between meringue and sponge. Stud with glace fruits if using.
- Bake in oven at Gas Mark 8 for 1 - 3 minutes until meringue starts to go golden
- Serve immediately.
A real crowd pleaser you can serve with lit sparklers stuck into the meringue for added effect.