Coffee Table Magazines

Once upon a time I used to buy quite a lot of magazines per month but after OH lost his job I did not buy any for over three years but made use of those I already had.

However recently I have been very taken with the Land Love and Landscape magazines.  Not only are they beautiful coffee table magazines and a visual feast of photography but they have to me some very different and lovely recipes as well as well written articles on seasonal items. I especially like the alternative recipes with what to do with foraged goodies.  These two magazines are my treat for the month together with the Home Farmer Magazine which also has some cracking articles and lovely recipes.

I was very interested to see an article on using the compost heap to grow veggies on.  This is not something new to our family as my granddad always grew the rhubarb and the marrows out of the compost heap with nasturtiums in between.  Even the forced rhubarb with an old bucket upside down over the rhubarb to force it.  The stems were always lovely dipped in sugar.

My Great uncle had a Victorian kitchen garden - a proper one at a big ancestral hall near Lincoln and where I used to go and stay regularly as a child   .He always had a huge hotbed on which he used to grow mushrooms.  It always produced mushrooms and every so often was stripped out and new manure added and then the process would start over again.  That kitchen garden was magical growing lots of gooseberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants, strawberries, blackberries with espalier pears up the walls and rhubarb also on the composst heap.  There was
 always masses of fruit that used to be preserved by making jams and then with the innovation of the freezer was stored away for the winter months for puddings and the like.  So good food has been available from all sides of the family and has been a heavy influence on the type of foods I like and the ways in which I preserve things. Preserving is my main passion and these magazines between them are a very interesting and useful resource  - magazines to keep accessible and to used on a regular basis and enjoyed.

Do you have any magazines that you are fond of and go back to time and time again.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I have been getting Home Farmer since issue 1 and have kept all the issues I often refer back through them, a great magazine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in the states I like a couple of magazines.
    Mother Earth news and Mary Janes farm.
    When I don't have time to read them I threaten to let them lapse but I always end up getting them again.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunflower

      I have not heard of both of the, but they sound good. Like the sound of the Mother Earth one in particular. Hope you are keeping well.

      Pattypan

      x

      Delete
  3. Landlove and Landscape magazines are brilliant, I have bought both right from the first issues and have subscriptions now. Hope you are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rowan I just love these two. I have had them right from the beginning too. I particularly like that they deal with seasonal things helps bring us back to the nitty gritty with nice things to cook and lovely craft items as well. Hope you aare keeping well and Bilbo Baggins. I am a lot better than I have been - back at work yesterday bit of a shock to the system and a bit sleepy, but I needed to go back as I was going stir crazy.

      Take care

      Pattypan

      x

      Delete
  4. Hi Dawn

    I also had Homefarmer from first innings. Then OH was made redundant and out of work for three years so everything like that had to go. I have only recently started having it again and have been very impressed with recent articles. Hope you are keeping well.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts