Pear and chocolate jam -Waste not want not

I have some pears I bought for the fruit basket which are starting to go a little past their best. Rather than waste them I am going to turn them into Pear and Chocolate Jam a recipe from Notes From The Jam Cupboard which can then ultimately be turned into a speedy Pear and Chocolate tart.  I have been drooling over this recipe for absolutely ages so having the pears to use up is a bonus as far as I am concerned and makes an early start to the New Year Preserve store.  I just hope it lives up to its promise.

The more I preserve the more I believe that a lot of people do not go to the trouble of preserving food is that they are not really sure what to do with it once they have made that particular preserve.  I unfortunately have gone the other way and the more I do the more I want to do.  This particular book is a gem in this respect and well worth the purchase.  The ISBN Number is ISBN 978-1-78009-006-1.

Please note this is my own personal opinion.  I only usually recommend books that I think are useful to the home preserver.


But then my Nan and Mum used to do an awful lot of preserving.  There was always plenty of good food about in both households and very little waste. 

I also make a pear and chocolate swiss roll trifle which consists of a bought or made chocolate Swiss roll, a can of tinned pears, cream and chocolate blamange and I think this pear and chocolate jam would be good with that too or perhaps in some home made Danish pastries or with home made croissants.  Or pancakes - even waffles - lush.

Ingredients Required:

1kg / 2lb 4oz ripe pears

Juice of 2 lemons

800g/1lb 12oz granulated sugar

a good pinch of cinnamon

150g/5 1/2oz of good quality dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)

Makes approximately 6-7 x 227g (8oz) jars

Method:
  1. Peel, core and dice the pears then roughly chop the chocolate.
  2. Put the pears and lemon juice into a preserving pan with a splash of water and cook over a gentle heat for 4 to 5 minutes stirring from time to time.
  3. Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.  Simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes then test for a set.  It will be of a soft consistency but should not be too liquid.
  4. Stir the chocolate into the warm jam until it is melted and thoroughly combined. Pot into hot sterilised jars.
The Recipe for the Pudding will follow under separate cover.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. ThAnks for this recipe - it is new to me and I make a lot of jams and chutnies! Will have to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaytee and welcome. I do a lot of preserving, Jam making, marmalade, liqueurs, wine, bottling, chutneys pickles etc. Always have something on the go. Have not tried the jam yet but will do shortly. Take care Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts