Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Quiet breakfast

I am trying to get into a bit more of a better routine in the morning to sit and have breakfast and a mug of tea quietly whilst also catching up on here. 

I am also trying to do a few things in a morning.  Getting up at 6am with OH rather than popping back to bed and then ending up oversleeping and being in a panic.   I am going to try and use my time wisely doing various different things on different days. 

I have already collected a load of washing in - it looks and is forecast for rain.  Was not quite dry but a quick turn around in the tumbler should finish it off.  There have also been a couple of more washes go in as well.

I have also cooked the rhubarb "stewed" it ready to have for pudding tonight.  With OH being diabetic I thought it might be nice for him to have a rhubarb fool without any sugar in.  The rhubarb puree is in the fridge cooling down and then all I will have to do is mix it with some cream - if it is too tart I will use a little of the sugar substitute I have although I tend to use this sparingly - rhubarb is one of his favourites.  So that is pudding more or less taken care of.

We are having egg, bacon, tomatoes and field mushrooms for tonight's tea and I think the rhubarb fool will finish it off very nicely.

I will also need to put a bread loaf on.  I have some lovely stoneground flour that I need to try in both white and wholemeal and I want to see how it performs in the bread machine. 

Right must get a wriggle on. Catch you later.




  1. I am new to your blog, but is there a special reason why you are getting up at 6 am? This is very early to me. I couldn't keep that up for long, but perhaps I'm much older! What is so pressing to do which means getting up at the crack of dawn (well, crack of dawn in the winter, at least!)
    Margaret P

  2. Hi Margaret and you are very welcome.

    OH gets up at 6:00am to walk our Jack Russell, Missy. If I did not get up with him I would end up still being asleep when I was supposed to be at work. I have epilepsy and they use a sedative to medicate me, which frankly makes me more than sleepy on occasions. If I drop off back to sleep I would not get to work on time. I am a Legal Secretary. In winter I would not want to get out but one has to do what one has to do. As I am up so early I am trying to make use of the time to do things I would otherwise have to do when I come home from work. I do not leave work until 6:00pm. so it can have a knock on effect by the time tea is cooked etc. and I do like to play a bit with either cooking or crafts or have my head in a book or books. There is never enough time to be bored. Have a good look around there is plenty of stuff I have burbled on about over the years - some of which I hope you will enjoy.

    Take care.

    Pattypan (aka Tricia)


  3. Thank you so much, Pattypan, for explaining why you rise early, and I'm sorry that the medication can make you sleepy. But early morning in summer is lovely, even though it's not so great in the depths of winter!
    But you are up and work long hours, not returning home until gone 6 pm. And as you say, there is never enough time to be bored! I am a reader, too - we readers find those who don't read hard to understand, don't we? And I also write, so even in retirement, there never seems enough hours in the day.
    Margaret P

  4. Hi Margaret - its just one of those things. I love the lovely light mornings too and especially when I used to be able to pick fresh raspberries out of the garden for breakfast. that was a few years ago and I am hoping to be able to do that again soon. I walk into work which is a good mile plus and then am there until 6:00pm when OH comes to collect me. The meds is just one of those things but it can impact at times. I adore reading I was taught from a very early age that if you have a book you always have a friend and can keep yourself occupied. I am afraid I am not keen on the Kindles although they serve a purpose. Not tactile enough. I agree I do find it strange that people do not read - I am lucky in that I have a lot of books but they are more than well used and its good to try things. The only writing I really do is here on the blog when I get the muse sometimes though its the dreaded writers block and a grey fog descends and I cannot find the words for love or money. I am glad you are keeping occupied in your retirement and even though I am not retired there are never enough hours in the day. A very good friend recently retired and she does not know how she found the time to go to work! I am a bit like my Dad and my Nan they could never keep still either. Look forward to seeing you comment again. take care Tricia (aka Pattypan) got to go and get teax

  5. I've always been an early riser and I still get up around 6am and I'm out with B Baggins between 7 and 7.30. He's still doing fine and had his 13th birthday in March.

    1. Hi Rowan lovely to see you back. As an adult I have never been a lark but am more than an owl. Trouble is if I fall asleep these days I wouldn't make it into work so its a case of having to be practical. OH walks Missy our Jack Russell at 6:00am. Glad that B Baggins is doing fine as well - I hadn't realised he was 13. take care Tricia (aka Pattypan) as I say its lovely to see you back again. xx


Thank you for popping by. I love to receive comments and to make new friends so please say Hi. Pattypan

Meet the Moggies

  • Merlin (approx 18 months)
  • Squeak (approx 2 years)
  • Poppy (approx 16 years)
  • Tyson (approx 17 years)
  • Tinky (official name Clover approx 18 years)