Red Tomato Chutney

This is the recipe I intend to make this evening when I get in from work.  However I will have to get the jars out of the shed and get them sterilised when I get in from work.

Ingredients

1.4kg/3lb ripe tomatoes
675g/1 1/2lb small onions
1kg/2lb cooking apples
480ml/16 fl oz white wine vinegar
330g/12 oz of sugar
175g/6 oz of sultanas
10ml/2 tsp of salt
5ml/1 tsp ground cloves
5ml/1 tsp ground ginger
2.5ml/ 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Makes about 2kg/ 4 1/2lb

Method

Cut the cores out of the tomatoes (the green bit at the top of the tomato) then  place the tomatoes into a bowl and cover with boiling water to remove the skins.  Leave about 15 to 20 seconds or until the skins actually split.  then place the tomatoes into a bowl of cold water to stop them cooking.  Remove from the water one at a time and remove the skins.  Once the skin is removed chop up roughly.

Peel and thinly slice the onions (this is where I end up in floods of tears) so if at all possible I actually put the onions into boiling water about 15 minutes before I actually need them with their skins on and then peel one at a time.  I have found that this reduces the effect of the onion especially when I am peeling shallots or pickling onions.

Peel core and chop the apples and then transfer the tomatoes, onions and apple to your saucepan or preserving pan.  Add all the remaining ingredients and give a good stir with a spoon to combine everything.

Bring to a boil stirring to keep the mixture moving and to stop it burning on the bottom of the pan.  Then lower the heat to a simmer and then stir quite frequently for about 45 minutes or until the fruit and vegetables are soft and the chutney has reduced and thickened.  If you can draw the back of a spoon through the mixture if the mixture is ready there should be no runny mixture or vinegar in the pan.

Spoon the chutney into warmed sterilised jars to within 3mm/ 1/8 of an inch from the top of the jar stir with a round ended knife to remove any air pockets.  Seal the jars and label when the mixture is cold.  Keep in a cool dark place or about 2 months to mature before using to allow the flavours to develop.  Or in my case hide it from the OH because if he gets his hands on the chutney or piccalilli there is precious left for Christmas.  Keeping the chutney so long helps the flavours develop so you end up with a tastier chutney.

Recipe taken from Clearly Delicious by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz.

************************



So that is what I will be doing this evening (other things as well) and sometimes I get on quicker than others but this is the main thing planned for this evening.


I also have the mixed fruit cordial to finish off as well and process in my baby steriliser so I do need to go into the shed to retrieve the bottles so after getting tea on the go I think that will be the first port of call.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. You sound busy again. Where do you get the energy from for cooking wonderful meals AND making preserves after a long day at work?

    I had to smile at you needing to hide your Chutneys and Piccalilli from your OH or else they wouldn't last 5 minutes. It's nice to be appreciated though. Keith doesn't like ANY preserves, either jam or chutney, so I mainly make them as gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts