Christmas Planning 2017 - Pomanders, Fir Cones and Scent - Setting the scene


Starting with Fir Cones

I love natural things and am an avid collector of all sorts of natural bits and bobs when I go out walking. If there are fir cones laying on the ground I have to pick them up.  They can be used for oh so many things especially in the run up to Christmas.  I was brought up to collect as we walked.  Initially when I was a child it was to pick up twigs and fir cones to go onto the coal fire in the winter months as well as helping Dad chop the kindling the sticks utilising an axe to create the perfect kindling with which to start the fire.  We also used to pick the sheep's wool off the barbed wire fences and take this home and it would go in with the kindling with which to start the fire.  The daily newspaper  after being read the following day would be turned into fire starters.  Essentially this was a couple of pages of the newspaper which were folded into long strips (concertinaed) and then the balls wrapped into knots and popped on top of the kindling to catch the flame when the fire was first lit.   In the coal scuttle to the side of the fire would be coal and sometimes logs as well as fir cones.

Unfortunately at present I do not have a fire or a log burner  which I hope in the very near future is put right but that does not stop me passing on information and bits I have come across to those of you that do and perhaps inspire others to go for a log burner in their homes.  It gives another form of heating which I believe in this day and age is very necessary.  I do not think we should become over-reliant on any one form of heating but should hedge our bets.  I would mention that I have the brass tooling toasting forks, fireside companion, copper kettles etc and the scuttles.  Just no working fireplace/log burner.

Fire starters can also be made out of pine cones with the addition of some melted wax.  The ideal way of doing this is to collect all the bits of left over candle and melt it gently in a pan on low heat and then tip it over a few cones in a pan and then let it dry.  Package into suitable storage like a net bag and hang up in your storage area and pop a couple of the cones on to start the fire with the kindling.  The wax will soon catch the flame.

Equally you can pop them on top of the fire plain as they are or with the wax on  and they will release the wonderful piney smell into the room.  You can also use herb stems and dried orange and lemon peels to the same effect.  

However you can also scent fir cones  = they cost a fortune in the shops but it is not difficult to make these yourself.  Scent is very underrated but at Christmas it helps to promote a really festive and ambient mood.

I found this link the other day http://www.practicallyfunctional.com/make-cinnamon-scented-pine cones/ which shows you how to scent fir cones either by the use of essential oil or with dried cinnamon.  It does not matter which way you do it that is entirely up to you but a few on the side as part of the Christmas decorations or indeed on the fire would be magical.  I love the scent of cinnamon and orange etc. but no everyone does.

I have also dried orange slices to be used in garlands with bay leaves and scented pomanders and perhaps a few scented fir cones as well.  I would also like a bowl of scented pomanders to pop into each reception room.  

Dried Pomanders and Dried Orange, Apple, and Lemon slices

I have bought some cheap apples to turn into apple slices initially for decorating the house and to be incorporated into garlands but I thought I would also do a few for the pantry shelf as well.

I also have some small tangerines that were also quite cheap.  I have quite a few of these and thought would make some Tarragon and Orange jelly, Tangerine curd, small scented pomanders with cloves stuck in them and then dried with a mixture of cinnamon and orris root.  I have everything in he house and I cannot at this precise moment lay my hands on the cloves.  Typical.  I also have extra lemons and was thinking of doing something similar with them.  I have bought a few limes to turn into dried whole fruit for garlands as well. So there is going to be a lot going on.  I am very much colating bits together as I come across them and trying to make the best of the ingredients and foliage etc that I can.  I have some dried bay leaves already and my bay tree has put on quite a bit of growth over this last summer.  I am eyeing up a few branches which are going to be used in decorations but they are being left for a while yet even though I am itching to get my mitts on them.

I have also quite a few of the large cinnamon sticks which I am going to turn into star decorations but I did buy a load of cinnamon sticks last year so they will also go into the garlands as well.  I am looking to do my own garlands for my dressers.

I also like candlelight at Christmas the big white church candles which can always be displayed within a decorated wreath/candle ring.  I also like to have an oil burner going as well something festive and Christmassey. This year I would like Spruce in the house as well but we will see what we can come across.

At least I am on holiday the week before Christmas and the full week after Christmas this year that means I will be really able to get into the swing of things.

Scented Cushions for Garlands

I had also thought to make some fabric stars  and hang them from the garlands.  However I had thought to either have an insert pad stuffed with cinnamon and spices to pop inside.  Either that or a pad of wadding scented with festive oils.  As well as doing little groupings of square cushions scented the same way and tied with ribbon like a miniature stack of presents.

Just a few thoughts no doubt more will come as we progress along but I do try and make things as welcoming as I can and comfortable.  Now a roaring log fire or log burner would make it even more welcoming.  One can dream.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan


x

Comments

  1. Oh, I can just smell the cinnamon and the tangerines et al. I know you go in for Christmas preparations in a BIG way. I used to when the children were small, but nowadays we just have a chosen few favourite things we make to decorate or eat. Will pop over to your link in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI BB

    I think its the inner child coming out. Mum always did a lot for Christmas as did my Nan. It was always about the food and bringing loved ones together. When we were younger we always went to my Nan and Pops. When they were much older they came to us. I perhaps go OTT about Christmas but I don't think I am the only one. There are so many nice things that you can do and so many new tastes and experiences. Mum and Dad always made it magical and I don't think that inner child has ever really grown up or wanted to. Touch of escapism and fantasy although I always like things to look as nice as they can here and for people to be as comfortable as possible. Having the extended family i.e. my two step children and four grandchildren and their partners means to some extent that I can still indulge. Take care. Pattypan (the Christmas nut) xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts