Dried Dates and Dried Figs and Apricots.....

I love dried figs and dates.  They have been a part of my Christmas forever.  My father acquired a taste for them when he was out in Egypt and they were then on the sweetmeats plate every Christmas.  I absolutely adore fresh figs as well.  Same with Ginger and Turkish Delight.  Had to be the Ali Baba one though.

Dried dates can be bought in the long slim packs with the plastic forks in them; I buy these when they are reduced and then chop them up and use in baking.  The veg shop has them periodically and sells them off for about 70p per pack  You can also buy them sugar rolled and they really add a little bit more texture and flavour to cakes.

I have been looking for dried figs this year so far without success so I am going to try Waitrose whilst I am away from work to see if they have any.  If they do they will be squirrelled away into the pantry for use in baking and puddings.  Since starting this post I have found my dried figs in Waitrose and have invested in a couple of 500g bags.  They also had dried Apricots so I shall get some of those next time I descend.  There are a couple of more items that I need to get hold of as well so I may well get them all together.

I also use Holland and Barratt for the dried fruits as well usually when they have their offers on.  I particularly like their crystallised ginger.

In the traditional older recipes for Chutneys dates were often used to give a darker colour and sweetness to the chutneys.  I have many older recipes and I think its about time the moths were dusted off some of these recipes.  The chutneys, like Mincemeat are very good for using up fruit that is perhaps a little past its best but with the additions of vinegar, sugar, spices are brought to life again. 

I am particularly fond of golden sultanas.  The local Asian shop I use has them in periodically and when they do I snaffle quite a few bags.  They keep the green raisins in for the curry but the golden ones are a bit hit and miss and they are one of my favourites is it not always the way.

So on the long list of things to do this week I also have to make the mincemeat, do some fruit chutneys, make some festive chutney, start the Christmas cake and Christmas puddings. etc.etc.  So it looks as though its going to be a dried fruit sort of week apart from anything else.  I also have more greengages to turn into something for the pantry shelf and more piccalilli is also part done.

Unfortunately I have not found any Damson's this year.  I had so wanted to make some Damson Gin and also some Damson and Orange jam.  I have been eyeing up fruit trees on the Internet but there is just no way I will get them in my current garden.  

The next thing on the list is Quince.  I would like to make some Membrillo and also quince jelly and bottle some slices.  I am hoping OH will take me to a local Butchers this week which is where I got the last lot from so we will have to wait and see what we can come up with.  I might be a tad early yet.

Right on with the alchemy turning plain ingredients into something special for the pantry shelf.  Its going to be a very happy Christmas here with all the Vodkas and Gins and syrups and Rumptopf, and Cherry Brandy that is on the go.  Hic.  

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts