Planning for Christmas 2017 - Updated V1 Stockpile Food Items Bought/Made


Items acquired so far for the Christmas food stash

Pantry Items

8
bags of sultanas

8 bags of raisins
8 bags of currants
6 pots of cherries
6 pots of mixed peel
2 jars redcurrant jelly (Waitrose own)
2 Jars cranberry jelly (Waitrose own)
2 jars mint jelly
Two bags of whole almonds (needed for Dundee Cake and Christmas cake)
Two bags of ground almonds (these I use a lot of so may add some more bags yet)

I should add that the majority of the above items should take me through to the New Year as the bulk of them are for baking and I do not bake fruit items every week.  I would rather make my own cakes than purchase them.


Drinks

1 bottle of Delaneys Irish cream liqueur
1 bottle of port special reserve
1 bottle of green ginger wine.

All of the above on offer at the CoOp at present.


Freezer

Boughten items


2 tubs of Quality Street
1 Pack of Chocolate biscuits
2 packs of After Eight Mints
2 packs of Mint Matchsticks
4 nets of Christmas chocolate figures for the Christmas tree

Items made so far for the Christmas food stash (in no particular order)

Seville Orange Marmalade
Strawberry Jam
Apricot jam
Pickled Onions
Piccallili
Apple Chutney
Apricot Chutney
Plum Chutney
Plum Jam
Plum and Apple Jam
Peach jam
Plum Jelly
Greengage jam
Greengage jelly
Flavoured vodkas: Lemoncello, Mixed fruit, Candy Cane, Peach, Strawberry, Rhubarb, Rhubarb and Strawberry. Spiced Vanilla vodka (for white chocolate cocktail); chilli vodka for home made Bloody Mary; 


Elderberry jelly
Bramble jelly
Rosehip Syrup
Dried Rosehips
Apple Sauce
Bottled Strawberries
Five Spice Peaches
Bottled Peaches
Bottled White Fruit Salad
Bottled Red Fruit Salad
Clementine and Passionfruit Jelly
Mulled Pears
Rumptopf
Cherry Brandy
Bottled Cherries
Mixed fruit - Jumbleberry jam
Nuts in Honey
Mixed Fruits in Honey
Herb Butters:
Tarragon vinegar
Raspberry vinegar
Apricot vinegar
Passionfruit vinegar
Vin'Dorange
Blushing Strawberry Wine
Peach Wine
Plum Wine
Orange Wine
Spiced Oranges
Spiced Clementines
Vanilla Caster sugar
Vanilla Granulated sugar
Cinnamon Granulated sugar
Harissa
Pickled Jalapenos
Dried Chillies


I make the different preserves by choice and they are allowed for in my budget through the year. They have to last a year in any event. When I make a load of preserves like the last couple of months I cut back on items on the general shop.   I tend to bulk buy meat and then freeze it myself in any event usually restock in the quieter months.  We don't eat masses of meat and that we do have is eked out where I can get at least two to three meals from it, but generally we eat relatively well in the greater scheme of things.  By saving here and there means I can squeeze in some extravagances. Hence me buying ingredients and then making stuff myself a lot of the time.  Nothing is wasted though.

Will be updated as soon as more is acquired/prepared.

Comments

Popular Posts