Rosehip Vinegar

I have been browsing through my preserving books for something different.  I have found it and I am going to try this although have never made this before.

The recipe comes from the Preserves book by Dick and James Strawbridge.

1 litre of cider vinegar
4 tablespoons of sugar
50g/2 oz of rosehips
peel from 1 orange

Put the vinegar and sugar into a pan and heat until dissolved.  Allow to cool then set aside.  Meanwhile thread the rosehips and pieces of orange peel onto a wooden skewer.  Place the skewer in a sterilised bottle and pour in the vinegar.  Seal and leave for 2 to 3 weeks before using.

Apparently it is very good  with chicken and fish and can be drizzled over melon and prosciutto and salad for some added zing.  Guess where I am going this week to get Rosehips for this, rosehip and crab apple jelly and also rosehips for the shells and to dehydrate for my vitamin c quota during the winter months.

I also want to get some rosehips for making wine.

Going to be busy.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan



Comments

  1. This sounds brilliant!! I wish I had your patience to dry the rosehips x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy

      I have not tried this yet its a first for me so I am hoping it is one that is worth repeating. The rosehips I do every year in any event. I try for the shells to pick the larger hips as it makes it a little easier. The rosehip jelly, rowan jelly, sloe and crab apple jelly, are all good with meat (like you would use cranberry sauce) and a little in the gravy also adds a bit more flavour. I would rather make stuff myself and in fact am looking into starting to make my own dried mixes up to make my life a lot easier during the week. Take care. Pattypanxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts