Sticky Mess

Its been all go in the kitchen this evening.  I have a big pan of beetroot cooking and I have another one to do.  Jars of this will go to relatives and friends at Christmas as part of a little bit of something.  Once cooked I shall leave it in the pan to cool and then once cold peel all the outer skin off, slice it and then add the cooled vinegar.

I shall then start the next batch although I might change this to beetroot pickle for something a bit different.  Will see how many jars are made up first before I decide.

I have also been pricking my sloes; a lot of them had split in any event and I have the last of the sloes to add to the jar.  Hopefully I will get more on Sunday when we walk the dog as I would like to put some in the freezer for another batch later on. 

The supervisor has been there watching my every move.  Bumble (one of my six cats) has been close up and personal watching my every move and inspecting what I have been doing all through the process.  The sugar and the gin are now in.  I do love the smell and taste of gin.  Now on to preparing the next bottle.  It will be well worth all the stickiness on a cold winter's day when I can have a tot of this to warm me up.  Perhaps I am sad but I find piercing the sloes with a bodkin curiously cathartic I tend to lose myself in my own little world.

I have also bought two new jelly stands and bags for making the crab apple jelly, probably will start it on Sunday will see how it goes.   I will need the two jelly bags going as I have other ideas as well. However crab apple jelly is a must in this household to go with my home rolled stuffed belly pork it makes a superb accompaniment, brings out the taste of the pork beautifully.

I actually like making jellies; whether it is the clear jewel like appearance that appeals to me or the subtle flavourings I think that they look very good nestled on a pantry shelf as it speaks of lots of delicious meals to come.

The Pickled Cabbage has also been started I should be able to finish that up tomorrow evening and get it packed into jars.  It looks very pretty on top of a small salad with some cold cuts over Christmas together with some butter fried oyster mushrooms  until they are golden as a hot dressing as well.

There is still loads to do though.  I am back to work on Monday so I am going to have to break down a lot of the other stuff into an item or two at night when I get home from work.  I really do not know how I find the time to work as well!  Very tongue in cheek that.

I am in the midst of preparing another batch of picallilli for the brining process anyway and that also should be finished up tomorrow evening.  I have just stopped for a coffee break.

Its a bit noisy here tonight' next door neighbours we think they are Russian or Latvian are having a party trouble is they all end up getting bladdered.  If they are not quiet by a reasonable time I shall thump on the wall.  Trouble is they start playing guitars and singing at 3:00am in the morning and that is when I really do thump.  I need my sleep.

Right there is a big batch of vegetables waiting to be finished.  Catch you later must get on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts