All out of Cinque

Its been one of those weeks that I am not sad to see the back of with one thing or the other and sister-in-law's funeral.  

I have also finished the course of vitamin D from the Doctors and have gone on to the over the counter version from Boots.  With the weather as it is I have also been a bit stiff and at times uncomfortable as a result.  But we will get there eventually.  As a result this morning I completely crashed and it was about 11:00am before I eventually got up.  Talk about Lazarus raising the dead.  As a result of the extra lay in I have been a bit off centre today and playing catch up. 

About 2:00pm I set too and cooked some fresh corn on the cob that I had bought last week from Johnsons the Butchers.  I used my Asparagus cooking pot with basket to cook them (we had a decent sized one each) cooked very simply in water and a little butter and then dribbled with butter on serving.  It was nice and simple, tasty and filled a space. 

We also like baked potatoes done simply  or with a filling and also sweet potato oh and sweet potato fries!  Yum.


As a result of being late up I am also late with tea.  We were going to have a roast or at least that was my intention.  However OH decided that he could quite fancy a cottage pie so muggins has set too and made rather a large one with two packets of mince in (well it is a big dish).  The beauty with food like this is that you get quite a decent piece (we serve it on its own) and then if he wants anymore to eat he can have it or alternatively take it to work and have it for his "pack up" for lunch one day. It never goes to waste.  What I call a good family meal.  I never have very much as my appetite since I was diagnosed with the sliding hiatus and the acidosis varies quite a bit.  Just one of those things.

I actually love cooking from scratch.  It doesn't help though when you cannot fine the Lea and Perrins to put in it!  A splash always goes into my cottage pie.  I do tend to vary the contents a bit though.  Sometimes I will pop some finely chopped vegetables in - another time it will be a small tin of peas it always has mashed potato and loads of cheese on the top though.  The best bit goes all crunchy and caramelised round the edges.

Monday night tea is always a scratch tea.  Either the remnants of what we had on Sunday (if there is any left); if we have had a roast sometimes it is cold meat, chips and some beans or something simple like a fry up or baked beans on toast or poached egg on toast.  Traditionally when I have my act together Monday is ironing night, but yet again I am slightly out of cinque and for one reason or another the ironing will not be done tomorrow night.  However having a scratch tea means that I will be able to get on and do a bit elsewhere.  I think we will be having chicken casserole for tea on Tuesday night at the moment.  I may start that a little later on and get it into the slow cooker on low for cooking through and so that the meat melts off the bone. I am using chicken thighs and chopped veggies and will probably serve it with mashed potato or colcannon.  I am going to be going to see if I can get some pigs liver sometime in the week as I quite fancy liver and onions.  Cooked together they really make a good meal and the onion gravy is superb.  I always soak my livers in some milk to draw out any bitter juices, then wash it and pop it into a casserole dish with layers of sliced onions some water and some herbs especially some fresh thyme and then when the liver is cooked through make the gravy and then pop back into the oven.  I also serve this with some mashed potato, carrot and a little broccoli.


Right I had better go and check on tea to see if it is cooked and also to persuade the cat that he does in fact want to come in this evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

I must say that I have treated myself today as I really fancied it to a couple of cups of Mazawatti Coffee.  Basically a mug of coffee with a tot of Rum added to it.  I have not been terribly warm today so it very much hit the spot.  

So I have a lot of work to do this week to try and get me back on track.  It is going to take some time but as long as I get there at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Comments

  1. I love cottage pie and even tho it isn't up there on some people's menus , we have it regularly as it is budget friendly and very tasty but yes lea and Perrins is needed haha. If I sleep in I too feel out of it for a bit so I know how you felt xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts