Christmas things

 I am slowly starting to locate the bits and bobs I need for Christmas.  During the week I managed to nip into the Works and managed to get two packs of three, three metre rolls of cellophane patterned for £2 for 3 rolls and 4 rolls of plain cellophane for £1 a roll.  It will all come in useful for the Christmas wrapping and hampers and if any left for birthday presents or wrapping flowers too.  I may get a few more rolls during the week as this sort of packaging can be used in all sorts of things.

I have also bought some more felt for home made Christmas decorations.  I have seen a rather nice stocking garland and also a robin one that I would quite like to have a go at all made out of felt and I have also seen a gingerbread one as well.  The felt I have bought is shades of different greens and reds.  All Christmas colours. I have several ideas on how to use these.

I also bought a couple of packs of cards.  I am going to try and make my own cards this year for family members at least.  However I do have quite a few friends and associates who I will need cards for and for this year at least I will still need some more.  Fortunately I have managed to find some particularly nice ones.  I already have some string and also little labels which I intend to decorate.

I have also found some of my Christmas tins.  I have some tartan ones in sets of three x 2 sets (i.e. 6 tins).  One of the larger ones has faded due to the sun (I have had these for quite a few years but it is still good for storage.)  So the Christmas cake and some of the Christmas baking will go into these in the pantry.

The big roll of brown wrapping paper has arrived and I shall predominantly use this for packaging with a bit of embellishment here and there.  There are also lots of things you can use to decorate them with quite simply and effectively.  It does not need much.

There are also mini wreaths, some Christmas stockings, an advent calendar, table mats and various other bits and bobs to deal with, plus a whole host of other things, including some tablecloths.  Whether they all get made or not is another thing but lets say I am going to be able to keep myself occupied for quite some time.

As I mentioned in my previous post, one of the things that my Nan always had on her Christmas tree was hollow chocolate or cream filled decorations that hung off the tree.  I have some of these but still intend to get a few more,  I also need to get some candy canes (If you have any left after Christmas they can always go to make Candy Cane Vodka). You can if you source them cheaply enough turn them into decorations in their own right.

This year I also intend to make some Christmas mice in pink and white.  This was something else we were also treated to by my Nan come Christmas.  I know I am very nostalgic but I am trying to maintain my family's Christmas traditions as best I can.  I am the last of my line - I have my step-children and they may carry on some of the traditions but I am really writing this down for my nephews who hopefully one day will read this and carry on some of the traditions in their own families.  I know my brother pops in here from time to time.  He remembers bits from our childhoods but not everything.

Slowly, slowly we are getting there.  I still have loads more to do though and the Christmas pressies have yet to be made/bought.

Right had better get a wriggle on, its the weekend and as usual have got lots to do.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan


x

Comments

  1. I am really enjoying reading your posts at the moment especially the Christmas one :) it is cheering me up no end and giving me lots of ideas. It is lovely to hear of you carrying on the family traditions I am a nostalgic person myself. Love fluffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi fluffy, I really was so lucky to have such a lovely childhood and it was happy which I think makes all the difference. I keep a lot of my family's traditions alive because they are important to me and they stem to the root of who I actually am, but we create our own traditions our own customs. I loved doing Christmas when children were in the house - I still enjoy it but a lot of the fun comes from the little ones. Glad its cheering you up and if you want it to be Christmas every day in your heart then so be it. Involve the children, let them feel wanted and needed and give them little jobs like decorating plain lining paper with drawings or with stamps and then turning it into wrapping paper or get them to help decorate some little cup cakes etc. etc. I really liked the wish jar for ideas for pressies which is passed on to Father Christmas. I used to do a letter from Santa Claus for both of my nephews. I would find out everything that they had been up to from my brother and his wife and then type a letter talking to him about how I had been peeping and seeing how he had been a good little boy etc. etc. and that thankfully this year he is on the nice list..... It was two years ago I came clean - he is now 24 years of age. He had no idea I had written the letters. So sometimes a little subterfuge does work. Take care sweetie brighter days ahead. Pattypanxxx

      Delete
  2. You are very organized. I've scarcely done anything yet - bought a couple of gifts so far, and would you believe, mislaid the Christmas cards which I wrote out in January thinking I would be organized this year!!!

    Have you been having fun with your new sewing and embroidery machines yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BB, I concentrate on the food first - in effect it is a major stock up for at least six months but at least I have the pick of ingredients come Christmas. Inbetween times I take advantage of offers. I still have pressies to buy but I am starting to look around to see what there is in any event. However I am hoping to make quite a few bits and bobs. Will see how it goes. Still not got to the sewing machines but it will happen. Take care honey xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts