Herbs and Vinegars, condiments and flavourings

I recently bid for soime jars on ebay which arrived well packed in a little wooden tray.  The jars are for storing my herbs in.  It was a shame to not use it and when I turned it over it had in a previous life been used to package some wine in.  I got to thinking as to what i could use it for.  It suddenly struck me that it would be an ideal container in which to store some of my bought flavoured vinegars and hold them altogether and also be able to put them from shelf to table like that which has made me doubly pleased.  Here they are.






Another batch of things all sorted and ready for the pantry.

Some of the herbs I have dried have been processed. I mean rubbed between the hands with the sage and the thymes an rosemary stripped off of their stems and the stems in my case discarded this time round.  However if I had a fire they would be on that.   I have lemon thyme which will be used as part of a glaze on carrots, ordinary thyme which I also use a lot of, sage which I also use a massive amount of especially as I do an awful lot of my own stuffings and some Rosemary.  I still have marjoram, oregano, parsley, flat leaved parsley to process.   I still have more drying as I tend to use quite a bit of sage and thyme.  And there is nothing like home grown parsley which is then dried as it is full of flavour especially in a home made wine sauce.



The Tarragon vinegar in their new little bottles.  I have six bottles so I have a steady supply for use throughout the year.  They are little square bottles with corks and I have added a square of muslin under the corks to stop anything getting into it.  The vinegars are very good in stir fries (for creating your own sweet and sour sauce) and also for deglazing the meat juices in a pan.  Home made Tarragon vinegar is/was my secret ingredient in a Marie Rose prawn sauce and I think it will be really good on fish and chips.  Tonight I intend to process some Raspberry vinegar.  I have blackberry, blueberry and mixed fruit, and mixed herb vinegars to go, but at this rate I am going to need some more bottles.



The Souper mix is all done and dusted for adding to gravies, sauces and for having as a hot drink on a cold winters day.  I am going to try drying some as well and see what happens, but perhaps not put hardly any salt in, a little bit but the original recipe uses the salt to preserve the veggies.  You do not quite need that with dehydrating.

I also have gravy onions to prepare which are basically like a really thick paste of dried onions (I put them through the processor) once cooked and mince down and then you just add to your gravy mix to give a little more flavour.

Comments

  1. I'm on holiday as you know, so taking the opportunity to use the free WiFi at a beach and catching up. As always you truly inspire me and have so many ideas for using things up. My problem is I want to try too many things at once and i need to stay realistic x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have heard it all on vacation too. Hope you are having a brilliant time and a nice rest. I too want to try so many things but I break them down into manageable segments. If you have a Kilner jar or similar type of jar with the vinegars all you need is fruit, vinegar and maybe a little sugar. Same for liqueurs alcohol, fruit and sugar and of course the soaking jar. I then process things of a like nature at the same time get them all done at the same time. The thing is that with a lot of the more traditional recipes and the way people lived they passed the recipes on but not the knowledge of how to use that ingredient or where to use it. That is why it is like a journey of discovery and really all that matters is that it works for you and your family. Everyone's palate is different but you can always have a lot of fun experimenting. I use a lot of herbs in cooking and it is always nice to bring something new out of the pantry or use something in a different way, plus its about taste really and accentuating what you do have. I am extremely interested in herbs and would like to do more but at the present time that is not possible, but still something to think of at a later date. All sorts of things I would potentially like to have a go at. You will find that as each year goes by you will end up making more and more; I make far more now than I did when I eventually set out when the aim was just to produce a few jars of jam and some pickle. Enjoy your well earned break. Pattypanxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's so many things you can do with herbs isn't there, I too want to do more but lack the time. I do feel that the modern day way of passing the recipes and info on is how we're doing it. I do prefer the old fashioned way though! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts