Sunday catch up

Its been a busy kind of day doing a bit of this and a bit of that; getting ironing sorted and dashing away with the smoothing iron in readiness for the week to come. 

I have also rubbed some of the dried herbs the sage has been "rubbed" and decanted into a glass storage jar and the other herbs have been split from their stems in the case of the Rosemary and the thyme with the Oregano, Marjoram flat leaved parsley and parsley also stored into jars.  I have a few more to dry for use in the winter months as well and also to bring some more bay leaves in to dry off of my little tree in the garden.   I am trying to hang off on the bay leaves a little as I intend to use quite a few of them for some dried orange and lemon garlands for the house this Christmas.

I have also finished off some fruit vinegars and my mixed herb vinegar as well as started my Mincemeat.  My friend Bovey Belle first introduced me to a traditional recipe for home made Mincemeat many moons ago and I can honestly say it is the best one I have ever made. (I don't use suet in it) and my main recipe for Mincemeat although I do make a couple of other variations one with Amaretto but by a slightly different method.

Here is a link to the recipe for those of you who want to make a traditional full flavoured mincemeat that is absolutely lush.  Its on my friend's blog Codlins and Ceam2 (oh and by the way she writes a jolly good blog too) - that will make her blush!


Here is the link:



I would say however if you make the mincemeat which is relatively simple to make keep in a relatively cool place as otherwise the apples will go into a full ferment and may develop a mould.  Subsequently because I live in a centrally heated home I tend to store it in the cupboard under the stairs or in  the shed. I also stir everyday.  

Into mine this year so far is brown sugar golden sultanas dark sultanas raisins apple carrot currants cherries dried apricots cinnamon  ground cloves mace orange zest lemon zest mixed peel.  So lots of goodies and the pot is only half full.  Even after two days it is very juicy.  I would mention that I use a Rumptopf jar to make the mincemeat in.  You could use a very large glass jar with a lid.  I also cover usually with muslin but as I did not have any this time round I used a small freezer bag underneath the main lid just to make sure nothing else gets in other than what you want in.  There is no spirit in yet this is just from the juice of the apples and the brown sugar it soaks into the dried fruit and plumps it all up.  I will add a little rum or brandy when I am happy it is ready.





Change of plan we are having the Venison and Steak pie for tea tonight. I had planned on having a bit of roast beef.  That will have to wait though as I have quite a bit of other stuff to do although I will still be serving with veggies.  There is also a blackberry and apple pie for afters if he feels like it.


Catch you later.



Pattypan

x


P.S.  We had the most fantastic tea.  The Steak and Venison pie was to die for.  We shall certainly be having that again it was serioiusly delicious.  One of the best pies we have ever had from Johnsons and the Cornish Pasties are seriously tasty too.

I served with mixed runner bean, pea and broccoli veg, carrot and swede crush, Colcannon (mashed potato), steamed spring cabbage and served with lots of gravy.  There is still half a pie left so we shall be finishing that off tomorrow evening for tea.

Right better get a wriggle on.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x



Comments

  1. Definitely blushing Tricia!! I hope other folks will give the Mincemeat (and the Scroggs Jelly today) a whirl.

    If you want more Bay Leaves, I have a LARGE bush-full . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good - about the blushing I mean. Thank you BB I might take you up on the bay leaves. I had a large bush once until the neighbour pulled a fast one. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts