A list of items


This post covers a couple of events over a couple of days.

Being told "bring what you want anything to embroider, bring any fabric you want to do something with.  Have you got jelly rolls you really should get some and get a tablecloth and some knapkins and we will find a pretty design to pop onto them" is like lifting the flag to start a motor race at full pelt with me doing 100mph!  Being given the green light to play is very liberating  - but I am not just used to it.  Mind you I am not complaining.

So after my telephone call with said cousin (nearly two hours later) we don't stop gassing when we start either.  I ended up doing a recce for some Jelly Rolls.  I had heard of Jelly Rolls and I have bought a couple in the past but there they have stayed due to lack of time and to tell the truth I was not completely sure how to use them but the mist is getting clearer in that respect.  So Last night I ordered some more jelly rolls in a Christmas design, some cream and some red.  Also in purple and yellow and lilac.  I thought that I would take the Christmas design with me. 

Also some of my shirt material in reds, blues,whites and greys.  Some plain fabric I have for embroidered designs and I thought a couple of white pillowslips and a hand towel should be enough to practice on.  It is going to be so handy to be able to make lovely things myself instead of having to buy them.

The pillowslip thing has come about as I nipped into town this evening - I had some things that I needed to get hold of for the Christmas preparations.  I have bought two x 6 pie tins to make my own pork pies in (individual ones), a brand new chinois for making sauces off the ground floor of the store.  Whilst in the shop I also nipped upstairs to the bedding department as I am still looking for pure cotton Egyptian bedding but I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for it. That is when I spotted the prettiest of bedding, wildflowers trimming a duvet cover and a pillow slip with a flappy edge which had the embroidery on and I thought how pretty.  How simple.  How effective.  I would love to do something like that/  I am starting to buzz with all sorts of ideas.  I particularly like wild flowers and traditional designs although there are the odd one or two newer designs that I am quite taken with and particularly butterflies and wildflowers.  I am a country girl at heart.


Also on the top floor of John Lewis they have the china ware, glasses, and table drapery, mats etc.  They have some lovely stuff there but they are pricey.  Good quality but pricey.  However I have also picked up some ideas from here too. I can foresee its going to get a tad pricey on the fabric front but not as pricey as buying it brand new from John Lewis.


Today I paid a visit to TK Maxx.  I had gone in specifically to look for a plain tablecloth and some knapkins.  I could not find a tablecloth in store today but I will look another day.  I did manage to get four napkins though. Four plain white ones.  I shall look out for more before going to my cousins.  The thing with TK Maxx is if you see it you have to grab it there and then.. So I shall take those with me to my cousins as well.

Now to look for some cotton pillowslips to do the same with and a couple of little hand towels.  I think that should stand me in good stead for my playday with my cousin. 

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

xx

Comments

  1. Patty
    Be careful with your jelly rolls - I brought one and thought I had a bargain because it was only £10, then I thought I'd have a go at doing a jelly roll race quilt for my little Granddaughter with it (have a look on u tube how they make them) and when I started I'd only got half a quilt top because it was only half a jelly roll! A proper jelly roll should have 42 strips in it, mine had only got 20 so I had to source another jelly roll to finish the quilt top it's worth checking how many strips are in it before you buy - mine wasn't the bargain I thought it was.
    Also I went to the NEC last week, got there early and saw Debbie Shore, went and said Hello to her, and she really is the nicest, unaffected person you could wish to meet - she stood talking to us for 15 minutes, we talked about her leaving Crafters Companium and how much better she feels having moved, about Alfie her old dog and Bobbin her new dog, she told us Create and Craft are going to be doing a sewing magazine so that may be one to watch out for and hopefully a dedicated sewing show, but she was a really nice lady - I know you've watched some of her tutorials and we've spoke about her in the past so thought you'd want know - enjoy your day with your cousin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trudie thank you for that. I know buying the jelly rolls is not the cheapest way of doing something but I wanted something quick to do whilst with my cousin. So I have bought a 40 pack jelly roll and then some of ten strips in a red and a cream to go with the Christmas patterns. I thought I might as well make something seasonal and use it as a learning curve. But thank you anyway. I like Debbie Shore what you see is what you get with her one of the more charismatic and honest presenters. Interesting to know that they will be doing a magazine. That would be good. I only renewed my subscription this evening to Create & Craft as I have bought some more of the accuquilt cutters. My cousin is going to give me a tutorial on how to cut jelly rolls also. I am glad you had a nice chat with her. Was it the Crafts at Christmas show you went to. I used to go to that every year have not been for quite a few years now. Might have to try and adjust that next year. Thank you Trudie what you have said is very useful and is appreciated. Take care and thank you Tricia xxx

      Delete
    2. Hi Tricia
      We were at the Sewing,Stitching and Hobbycraft show at the NEC - (we're going to the Festive Gift Show this Friday which is supposed to be a good show)- Debbie did say that her parting company with Crafters Companium was still going through the legal stages and that her hands were being tied by them as to what she can do and put out at the present time but that Create and Craft have been lovely to her and that there are lots of plans for the future once her hands are freed - so sounds like it could be good for us sewers - I also made a fence rail quilt earlier this year using moda miss ruby jelly rolls and I was really pleased with how it turned out - so you should enjoy working with those seasonal jelly rolls - if you're looking to go to a good sewing show - The Festival of Quilts at the NEC is a really good show worth a 2 day visit as it's a really large show - I hope you've had a brilliant day with your cousin xx
      ,

      Delete
    3. Had a brilliant day Trudie, its got me all fired up. Hopefully will have another day with her soon.xx

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to hearing how your crafty day goes. It is lovely to have a get together with a like-minded crafty person and bounce ideas off them. Kathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy, it was brilliant. I think we more or less concentrated on the Acuquilt although quite a bit was done on the embroidery machine as well. I am now raring to go and am hoping to do quite a lot during my Christmas holiday period on both the Acququilt and the Embroidery machine. Some of the dies we used yesterday she showed me how to cut bits out of but they are her dies and as I want to do more with them the dies are on the list. so I think it is going to be a little expensive until I have got all the basics plus the few fancy dies that have taken my fancy. I am going to have to pace myself. Take care. Pattypanxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts