Cheese and Onion Potato Dauphinoise

For tea with the Monkfish the other evening I prepared a form of the potato dauphinoise, together with some peas and some fresh long stemmed broccoli and it went down a treat. It is something that I shall make again



I took a square enamel pan that I have small sized and greased it with butter.  I then peeled and sliced a couple of large potatoes and some onions.  I then layered up the potato and then the onion  and added a layer of grated cheese, and then repeated the layering until the tin was filled about a quarter of an inch from the top.  I then filled the tin with milk just up to the top level of potato and then added some double cream.  Then finally topped off with a deep layer of cheese.  I cooked at Gas mark 5 for approximately 40 minutes or until when you put a knife into the mixture you meet no resistance from the potato and the cheese on top has melted and caramelised then the dish is ready.  I forgot to take some photos, but it was very tasty indeed.  I seem to have had more time to play around a bit with what I have rather than following any set recipe.  It seems to be working out just fine.



As an aside last night, we had home made hot dogs using chipolata sausages instead of the tinned variety, gently fried with lots of fried onion and then served up in finger buns. They went down well too.  Simple meals but very filling.  Goodness knows what we are having this evening.  Haven't thought about that yet.


Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts