Lavender




English Lavender of course used to grow in the cottage garden of the first home I remember as a little one, the cottage to the Hall where my brother was born.  There was a biggish hedge of Lavender as well as old fashioned Roses and this is something I would like to do for my dream home i.e. have a hedge or couple of hedges of lavender and then use the harvest to make lots of crafty goodies like, scented candles and also sweet scented bags to pop in with my linen as well as lots of other useful items. I do like the smell of Lavender.  I know a lot of people do not, but I like it.  It is very soothing.  I needed a little soothing today cannot put my finger on it.  I wanted to sit in the quiet of my garden and just breathe and be at one with natures energy and also the season, the month just to ground myself down.  However unfortunately things did not quite work out like that the neighbour decided it was grass cutting time so I retreated inside.

My garden here is still in the process of forming but I do have an idea to put a lavender hedge down one side of the garden where the washing line is to go so that it will border the patio and the potager garden that I am planning for the end.  It will also attract pollinators such as bees into the garden.  I would have my own bees but with the same neighbour again he would kick off and complain so it just is not worth the effort.  One day/

However whilst in town yesterday I spotted two large lavender plants at a bargain price so I have bought these home and they are outside of the back door at the moment.  The lavender is close to bursting so it will be a good time to harvest it according to the books and then I may get a second cropping from it in the autumn which would be very useful.  I will then harvest it and then dry it ready for use on the craft front.  I have plans to make some pretty lavender bags on my sewing machines and I would also like to make some Tussey Mussies and also some Lavender Wands also for putting into the clothes closet.

I am in the process of researching bulk plant buying in order to create my hedge/hedges so that next year I will get more of a return and be able to do more on the craft front with the Lavender.  

In the meantime, I am going to pop back into town to see if they have anymore of the pots like I bought the other day so that I can at least do something on the crafting front this year.

Here's how to make lavender balls to help calm stress:

Lavender balls

Update

Sadly no more lavender at the bargain price so I will keep my eyes peeled to see if any turns up anywhere else.  I have put the thought out there.

Hoping for a calm and deep sleep.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts