Planning for The C Word

I know it is early and totally unseasonal especially with this heat wave we are currently experiencing at the moment and nothing too in-depth at this time of the year but as I am currently a lady of leisure I want to make as much use of the time I have at home as I can.  This includes starting the preparations for the winter store of the pantry which I will cover separately but also collating little bits and bobs together for the C Word.

I don't on my paternal side have a large family I do on my maternal and of course I also have the extended family and quite a few friends.  Whilst at home I got to thinking what if I am not in any kind of employment by the time the C word comes around.  So I thought I would start now with little bits that I think people will like and which are not too expensive utilising pound shops, bargain stores, Primark, sales etc.   (summer sales are good for clothing or accessories like scarves, jewellery etc.) and then finding a nice container like a little basket and some cellophane to wrap it up and of course a pretty home made ribbon.  As long as I don't put them in a safe place and cannot find them everything will be alright.  

I have of course ideas to make things as well and they will come about.  I already have in stock a couple of cheap shower curtains to use as a lining (courtesy of Wilco) to line home made embroidered make up and wash bags using a plain or pretty patterned poly cotton or cotton outer cover as well as shower caps.  So there are good reasons for me raising this post now

General Christmas present bits and bobs and stocking fillers

  • bubble bath
  • wash bags
  • shower gels
  • body lotions
  • hair clips
  • hair slides
  • nail brushes
  • tea lights
  • flannels
  • bath scrunchies
  • reduced jewellery
  • reduced after shave
  • reduced gift sets both male and female
  • sweeties with long sell by date so can make up into sweetie jars
  • candles
  • handkerchiefs
  • bath bombs
  • combs
  • brushes
  • shaving brushes
  • nice soap


Crafting bits and bobs and wrapping paper

Make your own wrapping paper utilising Christmas stamps and ink and glitter now and store using the inners of toilet rolls to keep the papers intact once dry.  I bought a large roll of brown paper off the Internet for about £10 and I use this for both birthday and Christmas wrapping paper.  If you want a slightly different look you can of course buy a roll of lining paper and stamp it with pretty floral images and a pretty ribbon.  The roll of paper is also a good thing to have with children in the house for drawing on.

You can get florist/packaging ribbon from Hobbycraft.  You get a very large roll for about £3 a roll. I bought wide ribbon in red and gold a few weeks ago.  I intend to add other colours to the ones I have already purchased. I also have a bow making machine which was bought off QVC a few years ago so I shall shortly be making several bows and storing them in a large polythene bag safely until required.  I find it is the silly things that take the time so if you have a little stockpile made up it makes the processing time even quicker and probably more enjoyable.

So always look out for Crafting stuff wherever you may find it.  I use The Works a lot for crafting stuff and also for ribbons and  other unusual bits and bobs Tiger Tiger. I found cellophane in there quite cheaply the other day. Paper doilies can also be used to decorate cards, crackers, you can decoupage bits out of them.  I have some cracker snaps that I bought a little while ago and I believe that you can still source them online.

Felt and different papers as well as decoupage items beads etc. are also very useful.  I always try and make a couple of Christmas decorations a year.

Pretty fabrics are also useful to make things out of and of course home made Christmas stockings whether made out of a Christmas fabric, felt, or needlepoint can also be part of someone's Christmas present especially if stuffed with some of the little bits and bobs I have referred to.  Sometimes it costs more to do little treats for a Christmas stocking, you can for a gentleman put little jokey bits and bobs in like farting cushions, whistles, little toys, Jacks, marbles which can for a moment take them back to being a child.  A custom of the Victorians I believe.

Christmas tree presents

Little treats that are a little more expensive and are more of a keepsake. i.e.

  • gold earrings
  • brooch
  • St Christopher
  • antique jewellery
  • costume jewellery
  • charms for bracelets
  • cufflinks
  • bracelets

In our family this is something my Dad used to do every year as a thank you.  We would all have our allotted jobs and things to do over the Christmas period.  We were brought up to help and were expected to pull our weight. We used to enjoy it and it made us feel useful and as though we were contributing to the festivities.  I used to help mum with all the preparation for the Christmas meal, plus the decorations, cleaning the house etc.  My brother also used to help running errands, helping get the tree decorations out of the loft and putting the tree up and a myriad of other designated jobs. We both used to help decorate the tree.  Dad would always wait until after Christmas lunch and then would go to the Christmas tree where he had secreted little parcels either hung from the tree or in the pot base.  They always used to be hidden and he we believe used to put them on the tree last thing on Christmas Eve when everyone was out of the way.  Sometimes it was something a little more expensive other times it was just a little token and something more of sentimental value rather than being of any value.  I know it sounds crazy in this day and age, but even now I still have those bits and bobs.  Things were more expensive then possibly than they are today and my Dad although being a skilled man did not always get a really big wage packet but they made the most of what they had and I was brought up to do this as well.  Children learn from their parents and if parents show a forthright and balanced way of dealing with things this helps their children in real life situations.  I know as it has helped me and I know it has helped my brother.  We were brought up dealing with things in certain ways and knew no different.  Its just how you did things.

There is a lot going on here in a roundabout fashion but it all links into the bigger picture at the end of the day.

My fermenting bins have arrived this morning so I will be able to start the wine.  This will also make a useful C present, especially if you make some wine bags up to decorate them.  Equally you could do this for home made liqueur type drinks like Lemencello or bought bottles of spirits which are on offer.  I always look throughout the year and when I can afford it pop a few bottles up.

There is of course also the home made beer, which equally can be given as part of a C present as well.

All in all from the items you collect together you can theme them and make them into individual collections like a tv basket with popcorn, sweeties and a nice DVD for a family to watch or individualise it to whatever that person watches.  My OH is a great John Wayne fan and our Jack Russell is named Missy after the phrase "Little Missy" from one of his films.

On that score I now need to get myself sorted out as I am due to meet a friend shortly for lunch.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

P.S. I have been up town into B & M.  They have lots of thing suitable for C presents.  Including miniature bottles of wine starting at £1.00 upwards.  You could pop this in with a pressie or alternatively you can drink the contents and recycle the bottles with some home made liqueur type drinks in.

xx

PP

Comments

  1. I think you are wise to prepare things early- I have a box in the back bedroom in which I put C gifts all year round. But I think the folk at church were a little taken aback on Sunday- I gave out knitting patterns for the decorations for our 2018 C. Tree Festival. Well, I thought some of them might want a little knitting to take away on holiday!! The more prepared we can be, the less pressure when it gets to November. And it means I can spend the C season appreciating the real meaning, and share love and peace, not be one frazzled shopper among the teeming hordes in the mall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela, I love it, homework for the summer holidays the presentation of the knitting that is. At least you are giving them fair warning and time in which to get them completed!
    I probably bore people silly but preparing in this way for me is a way of life, its the country way which my forbears practiced so it is for me very much a habit. Gives a sense of being connected to the seasons as well i.e this happens at this time of year and so on. A way of marking time. It also spaces the pennies out a bit better so that with the food etc. it does not all come in one rush and a shock to the pocket. You are so right about the being frazzled bit otherwise and everyone needs to be able to enjoy and to celebrate at this special time of year. Keep up the good work and hope you are keeping well. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts