Kitchen Notes - Bits and Bobs

I have come back with various bits and bobs from Asda.  Some Lemon grass to make cordial, some more shallots for pickling, (I also need to put some up in the freezer as during the winter months I always add a few shallots to the Sunday roast [and to Christmas dinner], gives a little more flavour with the onions caramelising  these are added to the plate to eat and adds a bit more flavour to the meat juices for making gravy).  All I do is peel them and then freeze them whole and then when I want to use them add them frozen and whole to the roasting dish and cook as you would for roast potatoes.  They also help colour up the meat juices for the gravy.

There are some Blueberries for Blueberry compote to serve with yogurt for breakfast in a morning or on top of a cheesecake or as part of a muesli based breakfast.  I also need to freeze some for Blueberry muffins.  Another favourite here.  Some more chillies for drying and for chilli sauce.  Peppers and chillies for pepper jelly.

I came upon a bargain with Strawberries at the Co-Op not at Asda and they have gone into making some Strawberry wine (there will be a separate post about this).  I have made about three gallons which should equate to about 12 bottles. I also have more orange wine to make which is a house staple along with lemon, grapefruit and mixed citrus.  I prefer the country wines personally as they have so much more flavour.

I am also hoping to get some blackberries and to turn them into bramble jelly which is a firm favourite here.  It is delicious served on home made scones and cream as part of a Sunday winter afternoon tea.  Yum.  Or liberally spread on hot toast.  Also another winter afternoon tea favourite.

I also have lemon marmalade and lemon jelly to make and also herb butters and vinegars and oils.  So there is always something to be done always something on the go.

I also need to search out the ingredients for piccalilli for OH.  Dare not do this one.

I am also hoping next week to go to the veg shop and batch buy the reduced tomatoes that she always has to put up my pasta sauce - using my canner for the first time and also anything else I can get my hands on.  I usually make a couple of batches of bread and butter pickles (pickled cucumber).  I also need to do some more pickled eggs and I would like to get some quail eggs as well to do a few small jars of these.

I also when the plums arrive have plans for plum jelly, (a good base for a Chinese sauce), Chinese Plum Sauce, plum jam, spiced plum jelly,  plum and apple jam, plum cheese, plum cordial, plum wine, plum brandy.

Right I had better get a wriggle on as I have a stash of things to do and sitting here typing will not get them done.

Catch up later on hopefully!

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts