No jars

Bit of a catastrophe that is I ran out of bottling jars yesterday end ended up going out to buy some more.  Ball jars again wide mouthed ones which hold a decent portion in.  Looks as though am with this canning lark going to be buying jars in on a regular basis from hereon in!

I also needed some smaller jars for my chilli jam and also my mustards so I ended up buying 2 x 12 = 24 smaller jars for this purpose from Lakeland.  I have not bought any of this size jam jars for at least a couple of years as I always recycle them where I can.



So it looks as though it is jar and bottle fetish time again - the time when I restock on my main stash.  Terribly sad am I not?  Everything has a purpose and a place though.  I also have some more of the Kilner wide mouthed jars on their way as well 24 in total of x 2 different sizes.  I think I will be buying a few more each month from now on in as I intend to do a lot  more canning from now on in.  

One of the reasons is that if I do work from home and have clients then because of working times which I think at the moment will predominantly be afternoon evening especially in the winter months we are going to need quick substantial meals.  Chicken Pot Pie filling that is made up is quickly put into a pie crust and you have a totally home made pie with some simple veggies and some mash for tea.  Equally a spaghetti sauce can be a base for a soup or even home made sweet and sour sauce for home made Chinese.  So there are a lot of possible recipes out there.  Even canning potatoes which I am thinking of doing also especially in view of the fact that veggie prices are going up as a result of the drought this summer.  It all impacts so we need to be able to do what we can do to make sure that we have food in our pantries to make sure our families are fed - especially in the winter months.  Every little helps as the saying goes.

I always keep the freezers well stocked but am mindful that you only have so much space in the freezer that is why I have been bottling fruit up so that we can have puddings as well.

Right had better get a wriggle on.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x



Comments

Popular Posts