The Garden

Well I managed to get a new mini frame for the garden to put all my plants in.  What a struggle that was.  I built it up from scratch all on my ownsome and was quite pleased with myself.  Its cover still needs to go on but I am pleased with it nonetheless.  It is slightly smaller than my other ones but that does not matter in the slightest after all I did it on my todd without any assistance.  That has to be a first as I am a bit cack-handed with things like this as a rule.

I also managed to get today two purpley blue Hydrangeas which I had been hanging my nose over for the garden and two small fir tree things.  I think they are called Blueberry something or the other.  Sorry I am not sure of their name but I have them for a couple of tubs I have and am thinking of putting them in the front garden with some of my other plants just to make it look nice although on thinking about it I think the pink ones would be better, as I have lilac, blue, white colouring around the herb garden.  Pink might be better for the front.

I also managed to get some more black large trays (the type that you use in a greenhouse with a large plastic cloche on top [an unheated propogator] and also some more of the standard seed trays.  Both are ideal for storing large potted up plants but equally are good in the greenhouse.

I spotted some deep troughs today as well which will be ideal for the back garden to plant a lot of my herbs into with some ivies and get the planters off the limited path space.  So I may go off and buy those tomorrow which will free up the other troughs I have to plant some veggies into.  I have since been and purchased six of these.

The patio needs to be laid.  I am hoping that some work will start on this, soon as OH is not intending at this point to go fishing although as this is a big job there are other smaller things to get out of the way with first  - annoying things that need tidying up.

My tomatoes are starting to colour up (My large tomatoes both Red and Yellow).  I have lots of little cherry tomatoes.  Next year I intend to have far more and quite a few in hanging baskets dotted round the garden.  Lots of fresh basil, mint, rosemary, thyme, sage.  This year has been a refresher for me on the growing front and has given me all sorts of ideas of what I want to do next year.  Especially if I get the greenhouse back into full operation.  I also intend to have a lot more Strawberry baskets.  This has been a very successful way of growing them, although I would also like to try growing a bed of them as well to see what the differences are and the parameters.  I really am enjoying the gardening.

I eventually would like a log burner for the patio so that we can sit out on chillier nights and get some fresh air but also keep warm.

In the meantime, the front garden has been tidied and sorted.

The Herb Garden is a work in process.  Keep doing a bit daily and adding here and there.

I have the bay tree to give a haircut to today which is needed.  I need to dry the bay leaves again for garlands for Christmas and also for use in traditional  bouquet garni.  I also have some rosemary cuttings to take for new plants and some fruit tree seeds to plant potentially for an Orchard at the Dream House.  I got the seeds off Ebay. So we shall see what happens.  I think I am kind of organising the furniture for the future at the moment.

I had a strange experience yesterday.  I walked into town which I often do, only using the bus and taxi to get home as I cannot carry whatever I have bought home these days too much for my back.  I nipped through Waitrose and spotted the Kitchen Garden Magazine and thought oh I will nip and get that on my back.  Well I ended up in WH Smith and whilst there looked at the magazines and yes they did have a Kitchen Garden Magazine, but it was the newest latest September edition.  Something about the front of the magazine made me think this was a different version and so indeed I did go back through Waitrose and found that the edition they had was the one I had been looking for, for the past month.  So this time round I got the newest before the oldest.  But at least I have both.  There were no end of seeds with both versions and I also bought the Grow Your Own magazine which also had seeds.  I am going to sort through these and see if I can use any of them now! Otherwise I will be spread-sheeting the rest of the items so that I know when to use them.

I need to get more compost though three bags to start with.  Four of the window box planters will use up a whole bag of compost.  Putting a lot of the herbs in the "window boxes" will take some of the planters off the floor so we don't end up running a slalom between the planters.    There will be some planters to the side of the "window boxes".  It will also mean easy access to the herbs for me.  I also have four mini wall planters that will need popping up as well.

So as usual a lot to do.  Right had better get into the garden whilst it is cooler. It might help clear my head a little more which is still pinging a bit.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. It sounds like you are full of plans for your garden and all sorts of things to look forward to eating next year.

    I have been picking Runner Beans for a couple of weeks now, and peas this past week, ridge cucumbers, courgettes, and had the first picking of yellow French beans tonight, plus the red Mange Tout are ready for a stir fry.

    My Bay Tree is getting huge, but unless I give all the family Bay Leaf wreaths this Christmas, I am a bit overwhelmed with leaves to use if I cut it back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts