A little bit of this and that

I always start at this time of the year with squirrelling items with long storage dates on them well into 2019 into the Christmas food store (in this particular case i.e. sweets and biscuits and the like).  Useful ingredients like dried fruit, cherries, flour, almonds etc. Anything that I can use in cooking, baking, preserves etc. including tins of sweets, bits that are probably cheaper now than they will be before Christmas and it also eases the money flow with it not hitting the bank account in one fair swoop.  In truth  this Christmas food store it is not just for Christmas but well into spring as well but being as I cook from scratch most days it gives me plenty of scope when it comes to ingredients.  I also buy stuff when it is on true offer.

The freezer is also used as is the Jam Store, the Home Canning Pantry (although small  and a new addition this year), General Pantry, wine fridges, and fridges. I squirrel away frozen puff pastry, home made but unbaked frozen goods, meat, veggies, anything a little different or which I think will be nice over the Christmas period.  Food is a big thing for our family over the Christmas festivities and has been over the generations as well as being an important time for family and friends and sharing the season.  

I am also a great believer in a proper tinned can pantry.  This I think originates from the War Years where a tinned something of this or that was kept for a special occasion but in any event.  I have always kept a healthy tinned pantry an off-shoot of my Nan and mum's teachings as both remembered the shortages of the war.  Whether that will diminish as my Canning Pantry grows I do not know but it will be interesting to see what I can and cannot do.  I am very much at the moment squirrelling away recipes so that I have plenty to go at in the coming days and weeks and being able to put up valuable resources for the pantry relatively cheaply.

Things will accumulate a little at a time.  As I have said in year's gone by I have kept a big red box in the cupboard under the stairs which holds all the Christmas food out of the way of everyone else.  I do this predominantly so that there is not too hard of a hit on the bank account in one fair swoop in December but that it is done over three months so eases the cash flow up a little.  I do not use credit cards we pay for Christmas as we go.  We learned that lesson years ago when the children were small.

This year I am also conscious that with the drought conditions, the impact on water and resources that food will go up and also Brexit and I am keen to make sure that there will be plenty to eat in the house no matter what.  Roof over head, heating and Food are the main priorities at the moment.  I have been adding a bit here and there on the gas card even though we have hardly used the gas during the summer, and despite during the last week the evenings being chilly thus far I have not put the heating on and I am hoping to get a bit more in abeyance on the card before I actually start using the heating.  I am trying to be sensible to make sure that we are warm when we need to be and that we can get by comfortably.

Once I get the house sorted I can potentially start earning which cannot come too soon at the moment although I have thus far enjoyed my downtime at home but one has to be realistic and I have a heck of a lot to do before then.

To keep prices down this is why I have been preparing so much food for the pantry shelf after all I have all of the equipment and I have to make it pay for itself.  The Christmas cakes will be made this week and stored in the pantry once baked and then fed regularly with spirit.  I will also get the Christmas puddings done as well so that they are off the check list and I can get on with something else. It is good putting a tick against the box when something has been accomplished.

I also need to set too with the sewing machines and get some presents made from my fabric stash to give something that little bit more individual and hopefully a bit cheaper for family and friends.  Another visit is planned to go to my cousin's to see how she actually embroiders with her machine.  It is a different machine and model but I am interested to see the machine in action and to gain some idea of how best to work with one  It may also be that we might be able to combine our efforts on some things i.e. things her machine will do but mine will not or visa versa so that we both get the joy and use out of the machines.

So despite everything else that is going on in my life or on the peripheries I am very conscious as to being able to provide as good a Christmas as I can for family and friends but as cheaply as possible.  

OH will be going fishing not this week coming but in the week following so I hope to be able to get down to a serious play with the new machine.  I also need to do some fleece coats for Missy as she feels the cold so much.  Just having one will not be practical she will need at least three or four as she is a dog that is into everything she also looses them!   After all she will be nine in October and although not acting like it at the moment is a little old lady and we need to make sure that she is comfortable at all times.  I shall find something in the stash and if I cannot find anything there I shall get some more fleece off the stall in the market where the fabric is reasonable condition but not horrendous high street prices although obviously does not have the selection that the high street stores have.

So although not really feeling as though I am achieving much there is a lot going on hopefully will get a bit more organised with everything soon.

Right must get OH ready for work tomorrow. Take care and catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

  1. I enjoy reading about your endeavours in the home. You have inspired me to get organised. I picked up tubs of sweeties to add visible bulk to teenage grandchildren’s presents of cash. That should fool them too as they ask for cash yet will get a circular present to unwrap! I’ve also started cross stitch again since reading about your collection. They are so expensive to buy finished that now I’m having to stitch my own! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeannie, all I do is try does not always work out but those events I put down to experience. I always have glass jars in the house and I refuse these days to go and buy a ready made jar of sweets to add in as a pressie and end up making my own. Especially when you can get so many of the old fashioned favourites from shops like Wilkos, the £ shop, etc. Just top off with a circular fabric cover as you would do for a jar of jam and some ribbon. Small add on pressie for next to nothing. I agree that some of the more beautiful embroideries are expensive. I do tend to keep my eye out on ebay or car boots etc. for something that little different and have come up with some bargains along the way in the process. When I am working some needlework or crochet it keeps me absorbed and the hands moving and occupied. At the moment that is being severely neglected due to other issues but there will come a time when I will be all completely organised and tickety boo and then I will be able to get sat down and focus. Glad to hear that you have started the cross stitch again it is very therapeutic. It is always good to fool the grandchildren wherever possible. Something in me hates giving money as a pressie but the other part argues that it is better this than to waste much fought for funds and then waste it on something that they are not really interested in. However always seems so impersonal to me. Take care. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts