Kitchen Tales Saturday 15 September 2018

I had last week hoped to have received a supply of plums and onions via a friend but unfortunately it did not turn out that way as she had not been able to get over. Never mind. However in the greater scheme of things perhaps that was no bad thing.

This morning I have just received a phone call from her and I have Shallots, Tomatoes, Plums and Runner Beans on the way so it looks as though it is going to be full steam in the kitchen again.  Piccalilli is definitely on the cards with the runner beans and quite a bit of it too.  I might even get some runner bean chutney made for himself also.  He is very fond of both.  Must be the runner beans.  I don't like the runner bean chutney much but will have a little of the Piccalilli.

Then I made the fatal mistake of walking past the veg shop.  They had greengages and I ended up coming home with 4kg of them. In retrospect I will nip back on Monday as they will make a nice wine. They will not go to wasted as I intend to make some jam, and maybe try a chutney or a jelly I certainly have enough.  I also came away with three more Romanesco which are to go into the piccalilli.  I still need to get the rest of the veggies for this including marrow and squash.

Then round to the Co-Op looking in the reduced section and found seven trays of blueberries marked down to 50p per tray so they are going to be bottled for use either with yogurt for breakfast or blueberry muffins or pie.

Also some reduced spring onions which will go in with the mashed potato to accompany the roast pork and stuffing for tomorrow's Sunday lunch.

One of the things I am going to do in the coming weeks is to get some veggies frozen down so that I have a ready supply of veggies in the freezer.  I am very concerned as I prefer to use fresh veggies wherever possible but it the price really hikes up then the frozen veggies will hopefully help us get through it.  Trouble is in this country when prices go up they go up quickly and then hardly if ever go down.  

Right I am off to get some tea and then to potter.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I have been reading your blog in bed and enjoying the last of my poached green gages with yoghurt and honey. My favourite plum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is decadent and absolute bliss xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts