Chicken Stew for the Soul

Things were a bit hectic yesterday.  OH decided he was working overtime last night.  It was a late night for him as he intended to work until 8:30pm and as I was going out to a Committee Meeting,  it meant I would not get to see him until I got in at about 10:15pm.

Normally OH walks the dog and as you cannot keep her waiting so long,  I walked her and kept her in her usual routine. Bless her you could not keep her waiting that long and so I gave her, her usual long walk. 

When I got back I then decided that I had better have something ready for himself to eat when he got in.  With him being diabetic I am keen to try and keep his meal times reasonably consistent so that his blood sugars are kept within the proper parameters.  I therefore decided to make a chicken stew so that he had something nice and hot to come into. 

I bought some chicken portions two trays from the Co-Op for £4 which consisted of two chicken quarters and four drumsticks.  I had some remnants of bacon which I had chopped up into lardons in the fridge and so fried a little bacon off in butter and then added the chicken until it was cooked and golden brown.  I then started adding onion, leek, a little red pepper, spinach, peas, shallot, carrot, added some chicken stock and a can of condensed chicken soup and cooked it down in my multi cooker.  

I am not keen on white coloured sauces (visually not the taste) so I also added some Lea and Perrins, a little red wine vinegar, lots of white pepper, a couple of stock pots one beef and one chicken and some Bisto powder and left it all to bubble away in the multi-cooker where once cooked it would keep warm.  I then messaged OH to let him know where to find his tea and a little bread to soak the gravy up and then walked up to my friend's home.

Later when I got in he said was too tired to eat, but nearer the point they had sent out for some chips whilst at work and so I think he had had some of them and then stuffed himself.  Also later in the evening I am not so inclined to eat much as it means I end up with an un-comfy tummy before I go to bed so I can perfectly understand.

So it looks as though we have the chicken stew for tea tonight.  Stew is always better after it has been cooled down and warmed up and that will save me some messing later on.  It is good comfort food and I needed some food to warm us up from the inside out.  Since the change in temperature I have been feeling the cold quite a bit although I am still trying to hang off on putting the heating on until I absolutely have to preferring to put on extra layers of clothing.

It looks good so I am just hoping it tastes good.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts