Kitchen Tales - Comfort Food





It has done nothing but rain here today, it has been cold and the temperature has dropped even further this evening. So comfort food very much needed.  

I have not been out to the veg shop today.  I ventured as far as the Co-Op as I had run out of cat food and a couple of other things but not much out and about today.  Far too wet and cold.

I have a Cottage pie on the go with lots of cheese on the top for tonight's tea hopefully it will warm us up a little.  



The mince was nice and fresh and I have added carrot, peas, shallot, and flavourings and gently fried it off in my new one pot cooker and I even got the potatoes cooked in the steamer part , put through the potato ricer and then smothered with cheese.  I could not find the cheese grater so have done slices and it very much looks like a thatched roof with a slope at the moment.



We are just waiting for the cheese to melt and to toast of and go all caramelised and then it should be ready to serve.  I have only used one pack of mince this time round as although I have bought two I will perhaps do a chilli later in the week served with some wraps and salad, so that we get a variety of meals.  





I did buy two packs of stewing steak and a stew is also on the cards for this week or if I change my mind a steak pie.  I think it will be stew though as I have plenty of veggies to use up and we always get at least two meals out of a stew. When you come home in the dark I think you need something substantial to go at especially if you have been under pressure for most of the day.  Might also make a rice pudding in the slow cooker as well during the week.

I might do some slow cooker Eggy bread for breakfast in the morning with some mixed forest fruits.  That will be something a bit more substantial more a brunch than a breakfast.  Tomorrow evening we have toad in the hole for Sunday lunch.  I fancied another comfort meal especially if this cold damp weather is prolonged for any period of time.

I have also bought and downloaded some patterns for my embroidery machine.  Think I have that bit partly worked out.  Tentative steps at the moment.

Right had better get on and see whether our tea is now ready.

Catch you later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts