Natural methods

Unfortunately the cold still persists.  Mostly at night still.  Just have to let things work themselves out which these days for me seems to take forever because of my compromised immune system and the Doctors have said that if there is any chance of a cold going to my chest to get to the surgery asap as there is a particular need to try and knock any infections I get on the head with antibiotics.  I can appreciate this however where I can I help myself I do.  I am not totally convinced that antibiotics every time is doing my system any good so where I can I resolve to old fashioned tactics which are a lot gentler on my system.  I am not sure whether many of you know but antibiotics actually purge the system and clears your system out and this is why many of us experience an upset tummy when on antibiotics.  This in the greater scheme of things although essential is by its very nature "harsher" on the system.  However what I have found is that if antibiotics are prescribed then often or not no warning is given to actually use a probiotic ("live yogurt")  eat plenty of it as a purge of your system can actually leave you with side effects like thrush.  I also use Cranberry juice in this regard as there is an enzyme in this that prevents nasties settling in your system and creating more issues.


I use wherever I can foods like honey which is a natural expectorant in any event, steam and essential oils, home made Cassis and homemade Elderberry Rob.  All are gentle on my system.  Whenever in the throes of a cold though I tend not to have milk as I have found it thickens my mucous and that is what I do not want as this causes problems with breathing.  So I tend to drink things like lemon and ginger tisane (tea) instead, which are also soothing.

I do not know why but my body system seems to react better to more natural ways of dealing with things.  When I was a child I near enough had sceptic tonsils as an ongoing issue. (Hereditary issue sceptic tonsils stopped my Dad growing).  All sorts of medicines were used and then in the end my Nan went to see a local herbalist who made up a thick mixture of medicine.  It did not look at all appealing being a beigey colour to a child and the recipe was given to my Dad so that they could have the mixture made up locally.  However sadly, Dad lost the recipe so I do not have recourse to this today.  I believe from what my Dad could tell me that it had garlic and lavender in amongst other things but it used to shift my colds pretty quickly.

I have not gone to the Doctors with the current cold as I am not what I call really sick just terribly crotchety (because of the disturbed sleep) and uncomfortable with the cough.  The constant coughing has given me a twinge in the right side as well.  After all this is just a time issue and the Doctors are there to treat people who are sick (and I do not consider myself really so) this is just a cold which you have to let take its course and try and make yourself as comfortable as you can in the process. ( a matter of letting nature take its course and I think in a roundabout way trying to teach me patience). If it gets worse then I will pay a visit but only if I have to.  The thing that really does my head in is the fatigue that any infection causes.  I have sought to minimise this and tend to do a bit then rest and repeating.  Not my usual way of doing things but at least it works even if it is a bit messier in practice.  Just my way of doing things as I will not be defined by my medical conditions at the end of the day although they are a tad inconvenient to say the least.  They get in the way!

Right upwards and onwards.  Things to do as usual (too many but then that is par for the course here).

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I do hope your cold goes away soon. I agree doctors are very quick to throw medicine at you. Then our bodies become resistant. Fight it naturally as long as you can. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa, this one has got its shooting boots on. Each time I think it has gone it comes back with a vengeance! Hey ho these things are sent to try us. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts