Reading and TV

Has always been my main hobby.  As a little girl when I first went to school at the age of four years (I was taken on early) I determined that I was not going to learn to read. This was completely irrational as I loved bedtime stories, but equally I was quite a stubborn little girl (think she is still lurking somewhere). Equally my father was determined I was going to learn to read.  It was his main hobby and he knew from personal experience how much joy books could bring into one's life and that if you had a book you always had a friend.  He was determined to pass that lesson on to me. 

So extra lessons at home ensued.  Every night he would spend an hour with me practicing my reading, going through difficult words - usually the words with similar letters I used to get wrong i.e. their, there, thorough, through etc. etc.  Needless to say I learned to read.  I was encouraged to read anything and everything and I quickly became a fan of the school library such as it was and dad invested in the Caxton Press Encyclopaedias.  They were vellum bound in red and gold and you bought one book a month and then there were two large dictionaries, a set of books called the World of Children which gave lessons in all different subjects, and a set of children's classics i.e. Treasure Island, The Water Babies, Heidi, Black Beauty etc. etc.  Sadly my mother got rid of the encylopaedias which I was quite cross about as it had been predominantly me that had used them.  However I did manage to find a set for next to nothing on Ebay and they are at home with me here.

Anyway I digress.  Because of the extra attention with the reading practice, the spelling lessons, etc. by the time I was seven years of age I had the reading ability of a 15 year old.  I read the Hobbit at age seven.  My Dad always maintained that you only get out what you put in.  For me though the reading was the best hobby he could have given me as I was and still am very shy of people and if or I am uncomfortable I go and read something which takes me out of myself.

Different schools, I was a Librarian usually wherever I was as I had a definite love of books which I do to this day.  My reading habits have changed though as at one stage I was a prolific reader but latterly have not read so much although this year have started again with a vengeance.

I have recently been reading the Winston Graham Poldark novels.  I managed to buy the first four the other month and am now on book four - Warleggan.  


I intend to source the rest of them now that I am in the swing of them and I must say I am really enjoying them.

I do have lots of other books to read but I would like to continue on with the Poldark ones now that I have started them right through to conclusion.  That way I will get the whole story, eked out night by night as I read a little before going to sleep.  It has to be a proper book though - no Kindle for me as I love the touch and feel and smell of a proper book.

It is kind of putting the cart before the horse i.e. seeing the TV series first before reading the books but it is making me appreciate the little differences and am noting where they have followed the storyline to the "T".

I have also started watching the TV series on Prime the Man from the High Castle having only started watching last Friday evening.  I am now up to episode six of season two and I must say it is rather intriguing and well thought out.  Its storyline is based very much on what if the Germans had won the war what life would be like for everyone.  It is a little confusing at times, but I am gradually getting to grips with it.

Once the lounge is sorted it means I can get back to lazy Sunday afternoons watching films or DVds and just chilling.  I have lots to watch as I have been slowly collecting some of the real old films little by little.  It will be nice to get the stereo back on as well as I love music of all kinds although the one I am least keen on is jazz!

What is your favourite thing to do to chill out.  Do you like watching films or listening to music and just to leave real life and escape restrictions by doing so.  If so who is your favourite artist, what pieces of music do you like.  What are your favourite films, tv series, or even books.

Would love to hear from you.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Reading has always been my passion. I take a book with me wherever I go!! Unless I'm on a walk of course. I have been reading mainly thrillers/crime fiction this past 18 mths, but love historical novels too, and am on the new Barbara Erskine. If you haven't discovered her before, I can thoroughly recommend her books. Equally (if not more) Diana Gabaldon's novels, starting with Outlander. The series should be on Prime too. You will fall in love with Jamie, that's for sure! Like the Barbara Erskine novels, Outlander (and subsequent books) involve slipping back in time - to the Jacobite Rebellion to start with. Inspired originally by Frazer Hines in a Dr Who programme, when he was in a kilt!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlander_(novel)#Development_and_inspiration

    By the time we settle down for most of the year, it is 8 p.m. before we get to watch any tv, and then it is usually things we have recorded - usually from Sky. Documentaries we enjoy most, and the occasional good film. In winter we can generally settle down earlier as it's dark early and we can't do any outside jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BB, its always been my passion as well. First husband however did not like me reading as it took my attention away from him. OH is a bit the same way. Unfortunately I become a little anti-social when I read as I get my head stuck in my book and that's it very little gets done until I get to the end. Reading before bed is a bit disjointed for me but it is also a form of discipline as well. I like the historical novels have quite a few Sansom historical ones and also Elizabeth Chadwick to read through as well. I stocked up on quite a few earlier in the year. I shall have to have a look at the Outlander one. I shall also have to look out for Barbara Erskine thank you for that. Hope you are okay honey xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts