Another Christmas Decoration





For some time now whenever I have taken Missy down to the River for a long walk I have been picking up small larch cones, larger fir cones and twigs with lichen on that have been blown off the trees during the recent winds.  I had seen some decorations that I had quite liked the look of on Pinterest.   

Yesterday however, whilst in town I went mooching through the Christmas displays.  They always make me feel good about things even on a grey day and lo and behold there was on the wall the exact decoration I wished for.  I quickly went to the price tag, thinking it would be about £5 or £6 and the price tag said £30!  I would want gold-plated for that.  It certainly had none on it!

I have therefore asked OH if he will give me some assistance in making this decoration.  After all I have all the bits.  I have wooden plain fret saw stars decorations and I have the Lichen covered branches and indeed the twine.  I have larch cones which I also intend to glue to the branches at appropriate places and I had thought about a string of cheap lights to highlight the outline but that can be added later.  Also thought that it might make a nice Christmas decoration to give as a gift.  However £30 - that is a bit OTT.  

Not only am I interested in this size but smaller versions as well.  Smaller versions can also be added to garlands and also off a garland over the fireplace.  However I do like the natural look when it comes to Christmas decorations.  Making them myself cheaply also features highly on the getting involved and saving pennies issues.

I am also hoping to be able to make some close friends a small present each for their pressies this Christmas.  I think I am going to take a day for myself to do this or a couple of days.

I think I am getting very long in the tooth when it comes to Christmas.  Whilst I love the nostalgia, the memories, the Carols, the music,  the family time and the fun as well as all the good food I am still trying to turn the clock back to being able to provide something nice as a present but without the exorbitant costs involved. I am very easy pleased as a person.  I like second-hand as long as it is beautiful in its own right, it does not have to be designer, can be home-made (even better as so much extra thought and love goes into these kinds of presents).  More than anything though for me Christmas is about the doing.  I love to have some presents that enable me to make something myself, or allow me to do something different.  Anything that is creative always "floats my boat".

Catch you soon.  

Pattypan

xxx

Comments

  1. I wouldn't have forked out £30 either!! Yours looks lovely.

    I sat down yesterday and began knitting some wee hats to go on a garland and have tiny pressies in (sweeties I suspect) inspired by a pattern in the November (I think) Landscape magazine. I shall put a post and the pattern up on my blog so you can follow suit if you wish. They knit up so quickly - and I'm a slow knitter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts