Armistice Day and Happy Birthday Pop





The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month the day when Armistice was agreed between Germany and France 1918.  A hundred years ago.  The day we remember the fallen the few.

The eleventh of November has always been a special day in our family as it was my Grandfather's birthday.  He was I have worked out 18 years old at the time of cessation.  (he was born in the East End of London Bow Bells in 1900). I know that he was not allowed to sign up as he was trade restricted i.e. his skill was one needed  back here - he was a Fitter Engineer by trade.  However I had thought this in relation more to the second World War rather than the first.  It is only now that I realise he was probably eligible for both.

In any event being trade restricted did not stop him doing his bit as when he was not working he was growing veg, keeping pigs and chickens, as well as being one of "Dad's Army" in the village where they lived.  My Nan also worked at the Naafi on the RAF Lancaster air base in the village.  This was despite having two boys of their own and taking in two sisters Evacuees relocated from Liverpool Rita and Brenda.  They had been evacuated to Lincoln because of the excessive air raids in Liverpool, but I also believe that Lincoln had its fair share of raids being a City surrounded by airfields.  

Rita and Brenda continued that friendship with my grandparents and kept in touch with them until they passed.  Rita had ultimately married a Canadian who was a lovely chap.  They had a sizeable family of their own back in Canada.  I believe they were situated around the Toronto area.  Whenever they came back to this country they always called in to see my grandparents.  Brenda I believe married and settled back in the Liverpool area.   

I know that my grandparents had a lot of the young air pilots come to their home in their free time to get off base and relax a little.  They had a piano, over six acres of land to roam in and my Nan was one of the ladies who you could give bare ingredients to and she could create a feast so there was always a decent meal about - even if not in large quantities. My grandparents often spoke about the lovely young men that stood up and did their bit fought hard but who never returned home.  Some of them very gifted musicians as well as gifted in other areas.  That is the tragic part of any conflict - young men and women  taken too soon before their time ultimately giving for the sake of the many.    The Few. However it is thanks to them that we now in this country at least have so much freedom compared to other parts of the world and that in the greater scheme of things is why so many people choose or wish to settle here. For that freedom, I for one am very grateful.  We shall remember them.

And I cannot leave this post until I have wished "Pop" our Granddad Happy birthday from Tricia and the Deeping Tapper!

Catch you all soon.

Pattypan

xx

Comments

Popular Posts