Games and Entertainment for Christmas

We grew up playing games at Christmas  I spy, spelling games, Board games, charades etc.  

On Christmas Day every member of the family had to do a party piece in the late afternoon to entertain the rest of the family.  Recite a piece of poetry, do folk dancing, play a piece of music, singing, charades.  We never knew quite what to expect but everyone without exception had to take part.  We had a lot of fun in the process.



Perhaps that is why I have grown up playing board games, enjoying jig saw puzzles, dancing, reciting poetry (my singing is not very good and leaves a lot to be desired).  My dad used to play piano and the rest of the family used to sing.  He was good at playing the piano.

As a result over the years I have managed to add quite a few board games to the stash.  When the children were at home they were also encouraged in this respect too.  There is a long tradition of getting out the board games and getting competitive.

When mum passed and my brother and I cleared the house we split what games she had between us.  I have the Scrabble my brother has the Monopoly (In fairness I already have this).


In recent months I have also added a few extra board games such as Backgammon which I am determined to learn to play over the Christmas period.  My Dad used to play but it is a game we were never taught.  

I also picked up a while back a Victorian based fishing game from The Works for next to nothing. 



The game appealed to me as it was simple, very different to the current games available but there are two reasons for this game joining the array of games I already have in that one, it is different and two is a reproduction of an original parlour game.  This will go under the Christmas tree (after the presents have been removed) - forms part of a staged Christmas tableaux of toys under the Christmas tree so that the tree does not look too bare after the main event.  It is all about the "fairytale" that is Christmas and allows us to release our inner child.


The Works also had other games such as Sticks in two different sizes, Ludo, Snakes and Ladders, Tiddlywinks all traditional board games.

Do you drag out the traditional games at Christmas or like my family used to do have a little home spun entertainment.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I like your tradition of putting the games under the tree. We’ll be doing the same from now on. I always have a Christmas jigsaw on the go x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennie

      I also put under the tree some Victorian style toys like a hobby horse, Jack in the Box, an old biscuit tin which in effect is a child's traditional stringed drum, skittles etc. The tree always looks so empty after presents have gone that I started the tradition years ago. Has to be traditional style toys though of which jigsaws and games are part of. Hope you are keeping well. Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. We are scrabble fans, we own several dictionaries!. I used to play lots of board games and the old favourites are still around. Snakes and ladders(we sometimes play in reverse) and a few card games come out during the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts