Re-chauffe - Posh Shepherds Pie

This re-chauffe was based very loosely on a meal I saw Jamie Oliver do from a leg of lamb although if I remember correctly his was in the form of a pie.

As I said, yesterday's roasted lamb with garlic was extremely tasty and I made sure that I made lots of tasty gravy from the meat juices as I had in mind to do this Shepherd's Pie from the left overs.  I hate wasting anything especially when I have paid out good money for it.

When making a meal out of left overs when I was growing up I was taught (like many others of my generation) to mince any left over meat and although I have a meat mincer in my food battery on this occasion I chose to thinly slice the left over lamb and then chop it into tiny pieces.  I did this until the base of a deep pie dish was full of meat.  I then put the leftover gravy on the heat and then added some mint jelly to the gravy and then added the finely chopped meat. This completely covers the tiny meat slices and lubricates the meat.  You can if you like add some mixed veg like peas and baby carrots as well. Once this was warmed through I then made mashed potato.  I used a potato ricer to process the potato added a knob of butter as I wanted the potato nice and stiff.  I then started spreading this over the top of the meat mixture.  Once this was done I grated some strong mature cheddar (I used M  & S Vintage Cornish Cruncher) which has a nice tang to it.  I then cooked until the cheese mixture was melted through and caramelised.

It made a big pie dish full and between us this evening we have had half between us.  I did not serve any other veg with it and it was another really tasty meal.  One of the nicest re-serves have had in a long while.  OH was quite taken with it and had two servings.  Something that I shall do again.  Leaving the meat in little slices really made all the difference and it did not taste greasy or dried out.

Bonus is as I say half a pie left which will have tomorrow night and I still have loads of lamb meat left over to do something else with in due course.

One highly chuffed bunny here.

Do you have any other ways of re-serving left overs.  If so do you want to share.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts