Selling on Ebay or other shopping sites

Does anyone have any advice on how to start selling on Ebay.   I am a complete novice and have never done anything like this before.

The items I will be selling are  not items that I have bought specifically to sell on, it consists of items that I have collected over the years to use myself, but I am having to do major housekeeping as I cannot keep everything as I am running out of room.  I have a hoarding issue!  There I have said it!

Also, if it is just items that you are selling on personally are there any tax liabilities, - I assume not as I am clearing out personal items, or items that I bought for my home.

Or alternatively is it best to sell on a basic setting rather than as a shop.

Any help or suggestions or pointers as to what I should do for the best in this regard would be very greatly received and appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I've sold a fair bit on Ebay down the years. I will say, you get to a certain figure (it was £1,000 for me) when they deem you to be a dealer, even if you are selling a couple of 3 piece suites and reach that amount in two sales - from what I remember. Obviously, since this is your personal stash, there are no tax implications. I would advise selling items individually rather than listing them in a shop, which does look as if you are a dealer.

    Take good clear photos from various angles, showing any damage, and make sure you are listing in the correct place - where people would be naturally looking (with embroiderery and linens etc, that's fairly straightforward). Postage is dealt with via Ebay if it's overseas. I generally use My Hermes courier as it's FAR cheaper than Royal Mail. Basically, look at items similar to what you are offering, and copy them! I only ever had a problem when selling clothing, and there I met with one of the nastiest people I have ever come across, out to pick a fight and get money off - or an item for nothing when they claim there is something wrong with it and there ISN'T. Gosh, one woman was a complete psycho! Don't let that put you off, 99.9% of people are straightforward and kind. Test the water with one or two pieces and then you will get the hang of things. Good luck.

    P.S. Many of us are hoarders to a certain degree but you have to face up to it at some stage (my wool stash will be going soon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BB for your wise and sage advice as always. I have a wool stash as well amongst lots of other things. The Christmas kits I am tackling fill one large plastic tub which can be re-utilised elsewhere. There is a lot to go though. Wish me luck. Take care Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts