Things to get ready in the run up to Christmas Part One

There are a few more things to get ready in the run up to Christmas.  I buy in butter regularly or make it from reduced double cream when I can find it and then freeze it but the little stock I had in hand has in recent weeks been used up so I need to make some more.  With all the good food that is going to be around you need some nice butter to spread on that plum loaf (I am making plum loaf for my brother and his family and shall also make him some home made butter to go with it).   With my Kilner hand butter churner this is easily achieved.

Please see my post with links here on how to make butter:

Butter

You can also flavour butters, with fresh herbs, fennel, with chilli, cinnamon (I have some of this in mind to have spread on tea cakes, crumpets or pancakes in the run up to the holiday and for the holiday itself), rose and saffron.

Potted Shrimps

I also intend to get some fresh brown shrimps from the market and pot them to have yet again over the Christmas holiday absolutely delicious served as a starter with some brown bread and home made butter or just a snack on its own. You use clarified butter to make these.

Shortbread 

I also want to make some home made butter for my home made shortbread which is one of those things that we make every year.  It is so yummy and a nod to our Scottish heritage.

Buttermilk 

As I will be making at least a couple of batches of butter, there will be buttermilk left over which is ideal for adding to scones and also pancakes. It can also be used in Soda bread.  However you can also make buttermilk in its own right.  Recipe to follow separately.    However it is something I am going to start making on a regular basis as it can be used when making fried chicken, scones, even a pannacotta which would be ideal served with a mixed berry coulis for a lovely dessert over the Christmas period.  

There is so much you can do just with home made butter and buttermilk.  I am aiming next year to do more with both of these as the flavour of the food made with them is delish.

Right upwards and onwards.

Catch you later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. How lovely, I will look forward to your recipes.
    Pam in Texas.x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts